mounsey

Potential bomb shelter in our garden?

1 hour ago, mounsey said:

PS if it is like this the layer of concrete (middle) is at least 4 inches thick - as there is an area where I can see it looks like a former resident has "had a go" - at chipping away / down on one section. They must have given up though as with 3-4 inches in, no sign of anything different.. just more concrete! There's every chance it is ALL filled in - but that would be odd too. A real mystery..

It was just the (apparent) lifting eyes that made me think of that type of cover but I don't see how the edges of one of those would come away as yours did. I am definitely no expert on such things but from memory even a heavy duty one, perhaps 10 ton load bearing, would only be recessed for about  2½ to 3 inches for fill by concrete or tarmac etc. I doubt any kind of large chamber would be totally filled with concrete, if only because of the cost.

Again I may be wrong but I doubt an air raid shelter would only be accessed through a hatch in the top, surely there would have to be another entrance so presuming it is a shelter and it was not originally built in to a bank is there any sign on the ground that there may have been steps down at one end. Please keep up the investigation, it is enthralling, though it sounds like a lot of probing / digging will be necessary

15 hours ago, boginspro said:

It was just the (apparent) lifting eyes that made me think of that type of cover but I don't see how the edges of one of those would come away as yours did. I am definitely no expert on such things but from memory even a heavy duty one, perhaps 10 ton load bearing, would only be recessed for about  2½ to 3 inches for fill by concrete or tarmac etc. I doubt any kind of large chamber would be totally filled with concrete, if only because of the cost.

Again I may be wrong but I doubt an air raid shelter would only be accessed through a hatch in the top, surely there would have to be another entrance so presuming it is a shelter and it was not originally built in to a bank is there any sign on the ground that there may have been steps down at one end. Please keep up the investigation, it is enthralling, though it sounds like a lot of probing / digging will be necessary

Hi there. Oh, worry not - I don't intend to give on this mystery any time soon! - the problem will be time, as obviously I can only look into this at weekends - and only occasional ones at that.

Here are a couple of bang up to date images - make sure you read my accompanying updated notes too:

1. I've temporarily moved the bird bath + square (small) paving slab we've had on top (as neither were attached).

2. Unfortunately ZERO sign of any markings underneath - i.e. NO indication of a plaque / notice having been removed etc.

3. Ignore the smaller square "border" - that's simply where the small paving slab was - i.e. debris etc. from around the edges.

4. Likewise, ignore the apparent sign of metal in the middle area. This is also just debris (twigs etc.).

5. This doesn't give a true impression of the raised nature of the rectangular central area. It's a fair few inches.

6. NO sign of any other potential entrances / exits (sadly!)

John.

IMG_20180606_202035.jpg

IMG_20180606_202044.jpg

• Like 1

Quick update for you folks. I've continued to chip away at the corner (lower-left on this new image). Still no sign of a gap, nor "hole" - but I'll keep going! (a few inches down / in now).

Also.. as another tactic, I've started clearing away more of the grass / earth (see top left section of this picture). This is (now) roughly where the concrete seems to end.

The picture still does show the "mound" nature of this (though it is fairly subtle) - with that rectangular section higher up than the rest, which is the "mount" bit (the rectangular area being flat).

I'll keep chipping away and update accordingly! Next part (weekend coming) will be to find the outer edge of the concrete are all the way around (continuing from top-left corner).

John.

IMG_20180609_132200.jpg

• Like 1

Have you considered that it may have been be a base for something to be fixed to, rather than covering a void?  For example a statue, or weather station or other equipment. 

Be careful when you chip away at it, it might be a capping for a shaft or well. Try looking at old maps for the word 'shaft' or similar.

I'd be tempted to drill a 10mm hole though it in the centre and send through a borescope. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Plumbing-Tools-Plumbing-Job-Lot-Plumber-Inspection-Camera-Mechanic-Hand-Tools-/263461220159

Old shafts are very common. I know someone who dug through something like this in the yard of a house in Nottingham and uncovered a 40 foot well shaft. The garden of my mother-in-law's house in Devon also has an old shaft for a silver mine in it, which has a concrete cap. Lastly, there's a house I once visited in Leicestershire where they have a thick glass panel in the floor of their kitchen. During alterations their builder had uncovered a well with water about 10 feet down, so they decided to illuminate it to turn it into a feature.

I remember a few holes, one in the area of Lyons Street was a pit shaft covered with a large concrete slab,pushed aside by the dozer driver, luckily he stopped in time it would have swallowed him, another at Woodhouse we had nearly finished the job and were tidying up, there was a piece of flagstone in the middle of the site and as I lifted it there was a 12 foot wide cistern underneath about ten foot deep shaped like a bell, another at Commonside was a domestic well in a backyard about 20 foot deep with a hollowed out log down the middle.

The Sheffield Corporation Electric Supply Department

Not saying these photos are connected with the above mystery but thought I'd upload them as I only saw them for the first time yesterday ! Corner of Napier St and Somerfield St.

Top.jpg

Bottom.jpg

Full.jpg

We seem to have got you thinking you may drop into an abyss now  mounsey , and everyone is quite right to advise some caution. Though it would be a shame  ( just for the mystery )  if it turned out to be a base for something like Edmund  said, at least you would know you had not got a large void under your garden.  Whichever way it turns out the investigation is very interesting.