The old orange Debenhams sign (and Dixons next door!)

Sheffield History

Debenhams Sheffield.jpg

Have a look at this - do you remember this wording on Debenhams?

Also do you remember Dixons used to be next door?

Also do you remember that Bobby Knutt's wife had a gym down the side road?

I remember there were two units below Debenhams and Dixons were in the first one. There was something else on the corner, then Dixons expanded into it and took both units.

On 07/04/2020 at 15:24, Sheffield History said:

Screenshot 2020-04-07 at 15.24.08.jpg

Enlarged for a closer look..

Hi,

I bought my first SLR Zenith B 35mm Russian camera from Dixons around 1974. I think it cost about £30 which was a lot of money in those days. It was rather heavy for a 35mm camera and had to be stopped down, however once sussed it took some excellent photos. I believe the Zentih E was a little more upmaket and had a built in light meter and automatically stopped down. Although cameras have come on leaps since those early days Zenith cameras were trail brazzers. I sold my Zenith in the late 70's to buy a Canon AEI, which I still have. Are there any Zenith cameras still out there?

Wazzie Worrall.

7 hours ago, Paul Worrall said:

Hi,

I bought my first SLR Zenith B 35mm Russian camera from Dixons around 1974. I think it cost about £30 which was a lot of money in those days. It was rather heavy for a 35mm camera and had to be stopped down, however once sussed it took some excellent photos. I believe the Zentih E was a little more upmaket and had a built in light meter and automatically stopped down. Although cameras have come on leaps since those early days Zenith cameras were trail brazzers. I sold my Zenith in the late 70's to buy a Canon AEI, which I still have. Are there any Zenith cameras still out there?

Wazzie Worrall.

s-l1600.jpg

Amazingly you can pick them up on Ebay for about £25 these days!

12 hours ago, Sheffield History said:

s-l1600.jpg

Amazingly you can pick them up on Ebay for about £25 these days!

Hi.

That's for the wonderful picture. One forgets what a Zenith looks like!

Zenit_e.jpg

He's a picture of a Zenith E. The light meter is apparent at the top in the middle.

Cheers,

Wazzie Worrall.

Dixons used to sell an own brand version of the Zenith B which had a Prinzflex sticker over the Zenith name. Dixons used to take several pages each week in the Amateur Photographer magazine.

• Like 1