What shops do you remember on London Road?

Sheffield History

34107133_1842660732701911_5490400429852327936_o.jpg

Another terrific Sheffield photograph from Eddy Saxby and this time London Road with virtually zero cars on there!

What shops and businesses do you remember from this period?

I seem to remember a time when Woolworths had their store in Locano building or was it another store ?

1 hour ago, dalewoods8 said:

I seem to remember a time when Woolworths had their store in Locano building or was it another store ?

Marks and Spencer

At one time Wilson Peck were on London Road (late 1960s).

There were also little shops on the eastern side between John Street and Bennett Street. \there was McTaggart the vet. Some said he was a bit brutal, but I remember his gentleness towards a litter of new born puppies.

There was a papershop, but I can't recall the name. I remember Bob Webb, the butcher, who retired to Hathersage.

Further up there was Wenningers, pork butcher where if you bought a pork sandwich, you were always asked "Mit dip?" i.e. with the top of the breadcake dipped into the juices.

I recall further along, past Seaman, the photographer, was the Curry Centre and I had many a meal in there. Lucky no-one told my grandmother who would have been horrified at the thought of anyone eating "that foreign muck".

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Hopman said:

At one time Wilson Peck were on London Road (late 1960s).

There were also little shops on the eastern side between John Street and Bennett Street. \there was McTaggart the vet. Some said he was a bit brutal, but I remember his gentleness towards a litter of new born puppies.

There was a papershop, but I can't recall the name. I remember Bob Webb, the butcher, who retired to Hathersage.

Further up there was Wenningers, pork butcher where if you bought a pork sandwich, you were always asked "Mit dip?" i.e. with the top of the breadcake dipped into the juices.

I recall further along, past Seaman, the photographer, was the Curry Centre and I had many a meal in there. Lucky no-one told my grandmother who would have been horrified at the thought of anyone eating "that foreign muck".

Thanks, I now remember the vets, they were the best around but I agree with your Gran about  "that foreign muck"