How much has this area changed? Do you recognise it?

Sheffield History

On 02/06/2018 at 14:39, Sheffield History said:

34266476_1842660596035258_6378170921554804736_o.jpg

Photo thanks to Eddy Saxby

Hia, I believe it is the one storey high walkway, that went from the Castle Market accross to the back of the opposite shops, looking down on the building site that would end up being the Sheaf Market, and the shops in view, with peolple seen walking through a gap by the Bakery, was on the edge of the old 'Rag & Tag' market.

• Like 1

Unfortunately I think everything in the photo' has gone,  (apart from all the horrible flats in the background,)  Rag and Tag, Electricity Supply Offices, shops and other buildings on Sheaf Street and South Street including the Norfolk Brewery buildings and of course back loader buses.

10 hours ago, jackanne said:

I think it is the walk way at the back of Woolco.

I agree. The viewpoint is probably on the walkway, at a point above the cab of the lorry parked underneath. I would imagine the outlook is between the lines on the map

http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s40924&action=zoom&pos=3&id=120531&continueUrl=

Difficult to date the photo, as Castlefolds market that stood on the waste ground, boarded up in the foreground of the image was demolished in 1961, but Sheaf Market that was built on the site opened in 1973. Park Hill flats in the background started construction in 1957 and was completed in 1961, so the photo must be after 1961.

So, mid-1960’s, maybe as late as 1970?

E61DDF4A-38AD-4407-9D74-93B6DC8E6FAE.jpeg

1 hour ago, BenBeau said:

Does anyone have - or know where can be found - an aerial photo of the old rag n tag market? 

As RLongden  has said the best place to look for aerial photo's is Britain From Above, here is a clip from a 1950 one but if you search the site you may find better ones for your purpose,     ----------       https://britainfromabove.org.uk/en/image/EAW031292

rag_n_tag_1950.png

Judging by the picture quality of the colour and the cars and bus in the middle of the picture, I would date to around 1968 or 1969. 

To the right hand side of the photo - Harold Coates (Florist) Limited was still trading as the door is open and flowers are on display.  They went into liquidation on 28th November 1969, so the picture must have been taken no later than 1969.