Here's one of the best 'can you identify this street' photos

Sheffield History

34048659_1842660319368619_6945804296294236160_o.jpg

Any ideas where this was taken and the name of the street? Does it look familiar to you?

Photo courtesy Eddy Saxby

Hello

I think this photograph was taken from Evans Street looking down onto the junction with Milton Street.  The OS plan is from 1963.

The black and white image is from Picture Sheffield and described as Evans Street taken from Egerton Lane. The style of the houses is the same, very thin 3 storey with a rounded arch over the front door. On both pictures there's a dark area in the same place on one of the down pipes and a wall mounted gas lamp on the left of the original is in the same place on the black and white. On the extreme left of the original is a dark pipe on the wall, stopping halway down.  This pipe can still be seen on the current street view picture of Evans Street.

The new construction taking place in the distance I guess would be the electricty substation being built on Moore Street.  On the top of the hill behind you can just make out a beige rectangular lump which would be the Herdings Twin Towers as they looked when they were new.   

Screen Shot 2018-09-10 at 21.47.40.png

Screen Shot 2018-09-12 at 19.02.21.png

Screen Shot 2018-09-12 at 19.58.43.png

Screen Shot 2018-09-12 at 21.54.50.png

• Like 1

22 hours ago, BASSWRITER said:

I think this photograph was taken from Evans Street looking down onto the junction with Milton Street.

My memory doesn't serve me well regarding that part of town so I need a bit of help here. I see that Evans Street ran parallel with Clarence Street so think that would be towards the Sheffield United ground and then possibly Norfolk Park or perhaps slightly west of that. What do you think this is please? The area doesn't look high enough for the Norfolk Park area and the only other thing roughly in that direction that I can think of would be the Lansdowne flats.

Screenshot_2018-09-13_19-13-41.png.jpg

I did a virtual fly over from the line of Evans Street using Google Maps 3D. Going out of Evans Street there is a straight line over the corner of the United ground then Heeley and then ending up at the Herdings Towers.  I agree that in the original photograph the flats look nowhere near high enough.

I put this down to the camera having a wide angle lens, shrinking stuff thats far away making it look smaller than it does with the naked eye.  I'll try and get out there next week and take a new picture from a similar (that gets around the Moore Street substaion) to see what it looks like.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BASSWRITER said:

I did a virtual fly over from the line of Evans Street using Google Maps 3D. Going out of Evans Street there is a straight line over the corner of the United ground then Heeley and then ending up at the Herdings Towers.

Thanks  BASSWRITER , I drove the number 28 buses  40 odd years ago but had forgotten all about those tower blocks,  ( I am presuming they are the ones close to the bus terminus on Raeburn Road )