How nice is Bakewell?

Sheffield History

Bakewell seems to be a staple diet of any Sheffielder on a bank holiday looking to get out for an ice cream or some Bakewell Pudding

On 01/06/2018 at 13:51, Sheffield History said:

Bakewell seems to be a staple diet of any Sheffielder on a bank holiday looking to get out for an ice cream or some Bakewell Pudding

How right you are !  For as long as I can remember, Bakewell was the first trip out on the bus at Bank Holiday or when the school holiday started. Mum would pack a picnic in her old green Vinyl shopping bag, with a flask of hot tea wrapped in a towel.  And off we would go to get one bus, that would take us to where we could get the Bakewell bus. First stop would be the market, then a wander round the lovely little shops, where of course we'd buy a 'Bakewell Pud'. Sometime we would have a walk up to the Church, or the Old House Museum, then it was off to the park, walking by the river feeding the ducks, and watching for the fish, huge some of them. We would go to a favourite spot for a lot of Mums and children. At the far end of the park is a bend in the river with a shallow beach sort of area, ideal for little feet to paddle in, that was what the towel was for. We sat and had our picnic, then while Mum was packing things up, I would go to the play area. It was then a slow walk back through the park to the bus stop, which was outside the pretty and colourful town gardens. When my Daughter was little, we had a car by then, we would do the same, and quite often we would take Nanna and Gran with us to, and take them for 'Afternoon Tea'. It made for such a lovely, what I would call a 'Quintessentially English day Out'. Brilliant !!

In a couple of weeks time this old "Twirlie" ,with another 48 contemporaries , and our assorted "zimmer" frames, walking sticks and wheelchairs will be heading out for some fun  and fish and chips in Bakewell ...no doubt some will be armed with romantic locks to place on the bridge ...Just warning you all!