The missing pubs of London Road in Sheffield

Sheffield History

How many pubs have disappeared from London Road over the years? So many used to stand there and now hardly any left. Sad times.. 

What pubs do you remember on London Road that are no longer there?

The Lansdowne holds a soft spot for me. Had my first pint there, the year 1969 and 1/-9d for a pint of Whitbread.

On 07/06/2018 at 21:55, Wallsy said:

The Lansdowne holds a soft spot for me. Had my first pint there, the year 1969 and 1/-9d for a pint of Whitbread.

You could perhaps refresh my memory here please?  Though it was a little bit before your time there,  we would sometimes start at the Lansdowne with a Black and Tan or a pint of Queens because Tennants bitter was never to my liking. Before heading up town we would perhaps then go up Beeley Street and turn right on to Cemetery Road to a pub that may have been called the Royal Oak. There was also a Stones house (still good stuff then) very close to the Lansdowne, I think on Lansdowne Road or perhaps Boston Street, whichever,  it was to the left of the Lansdowne looking from London road but I can't remember what it was called.

22 hours ago, boginspro said:

You could perhaps refresh my memory here please?  Though it was a little bit before your time there,  we would sometimes start at the Lansdowne with a Black and Tan or a pint of Queens because Tennants bitter was never to my liking. Before heading up town we would perhaps then go up Beeley Street and turn right on to Cemetery Road to a pub that may have been called the Royal Oak. There was also a Stones house (still good stuff then) very close to the Lansdowne, I think on Lansdowne Road or perhaps Boston Street, whichever,  it was to the left of the Lansdowne looking from London road but I can't remember what it was called.

You've got me there. As you say a bit before my time but I bet there were a few back street pubs around there before demolition and redevelopment. You're right about Stones, a much better pint when brewed with Sheffield 'watter'. Closest Stones pub was the Albion but I used to drink Wards in the Hermitage and Barrel.

Are you thinking of the Star of Brunswick, I didn't go in for a pint but remember passing the pub on my way  home from work.

On 08/06/2018 at 22:25, boginspro said:

22 minutes ago, southside said:

Are you thinking of the Star of Brunswick, I didn't go in for a pint but remember passing the pub on my way  home from work,  had a few pints myself in the Royal Oak and Lansdowne also the Vine a bit higher up Cemetery Road.

Not the Star of Brunswick, isn't or wasn't that a Tetley house further up Cemetery Road. The Stones house I am thinking of could be seen from outside the Lansdowne's front door but closed in the first half of the 60's and I probably only remember it because the landlord was a friend of a friend. There must be a lot of Sheffield pubs I have forgotten about including, until now, the Vine, wasn't that even further up past The Star of Brunswick.

19 hours ago, boginspro said:

Not the Star of Brunswick, isn't or wasn't that a Tetley house further up Cemetery Road. The Stones house I am thinking of could be seen from outside the Lansdowne's front door but closed in the first half of the 60's and I probably only remember it because the landlord was a friend of a friend. There must be a lot of Sheffield pubs I have forgotten about including, until now, the Vine, wasn't that even further up past The Star of Brunswick.

Just had a word with an old workmate, he seems to think it was called the Derby? located near to the the corner of Lansdown Road and Boston Street?

Yes the Vine was on Cemetery Road just above Summerfield Street, also remember going for a pint in The Washington on the corner of Cemetery Road and Washington Road I guess that would be around 1963/64.

1 hour ago, southside said:

Just had a word with an old workmate, he seems to think it was called the Derby? located near to the the corner of Lansdown Road and Boston Street?

Yes the Vine was on Cemetery Road just above Summerfield Street, also remember going for a pint in The Washington on the corner of Cemetery Road and Washington Road I guess that would be around 1963/64.

Tell him thank you from me, though I still couldn't remember that name, the location sounded about right so I Googled "Derby Lansdowne Road " and it came up with a Picture Sheffield image of the Lansdowne with the Derby Hotel just visible on the left. I had actually looked on Picture Sheffield but failed to find it without the name.  

This picture brings back memories for me of a night before the breathalyser when a policeman had my mate walking up the white line in front of that mini, a few lads turned out from the pub and we suddenly had about a dozen of them wobbling up the white line, the policeman gave up and dispersed everyone. -----------    http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s21603&pos=2&action=zoom 

derby.jpg

This attached photo of the Boston Hotel / Derby, 10 Lansdowne Road, on left of the Lansdowne pub at 2-4 Lansdowne Road. Apart from the Quixall family with Harry & Annie, it makes sense as it is a Stones pub which they got based on the success of the Stones brewery 'beer-off' on Charlotte Street which was pretty much run as a pub. Harry did the cooking and Annie ran the beer.

Sheffield Boston Hotel Quixall Family.jpg

• Like 1

Does anyone have information on The Horse & Groom. Opened on London Road (Heeley) in 1860 by Wilson's Parkside Brewery. My thought is that it was lost to railway development or to make way for the cinema at Heeley 

The Horse and Groom wasn't at Heeley, it was at 112 London Road Highfield (due west of the Bramall Lane Ground).

LondonRoad1889.png.504ea1d03c5d5d6f9aa162895b7ac5f4.png

In1893 the Pheasant Inn was at 96, 102 was John Cobb, butcher, 106 was John Hugh Wilson, blacksmith, 112 was John Turton, beer retailer at the Horse and Groom, 114 was Henry Denton, hay and straw dealer (then came the Cross Walk junction).

Sidney Rhodes took over the beerhouse from John Turton sometime after May 1889.  However he was rough and a drunkard so his brother Thomas, late of the Industry Inn, took over the running of the place from 17th March 1899. Wilson's Brewery applied to transfer the licence to Thomas.  However, in the meantime the premises had been improved and enlarged by taking in the small hay and straw store at the corner, demolishing a blacksmith shop and stable at the rear, and rebuilding the frontage to twice what it was, with a new door at the corner.  The justices refused to transfer the licence as the premises were different to what they had been originally.  The applicants argued that change of size of premises was not one of the criteria on which a licence could be refused.  The justices had taken an opportunity to reduce the number of beerhouses in the vicinity (9 in 100 yards) based on temperance pressuring.

In June 1899 Wilson's Brewery applied for the Queens Bench to order the justices to deal with the application, but as they refused, the matter had to go as an appeal to the Quarter Sessions at Wakefield. This was heard in April 1900.  Although the brewery had reinstated the premises to its original size, the licence had lapsed in 1899 and the appeal was refused.

In view of being unable to trade at the Horse and Groom, Thomas Rhodes took on the Old Mill Tavern in Pearl street, then returned to his old place at the Industry Inn, Porter street.  Due to bad trade however, he went bankrupt in June 1902.

The Horse and Groom became retail premises, G.B.Shillito & Co. Ltd, cycle manufacturers, took a 10 year lease for numbers 112 and 114, from 25th June 1901.

• Like 1

On 10/05/2021 at 15:28, PhilChapuk said:

This attached photo of the Boston Hotel / Derby, 10 Lansdowne Road, on left of the Lansdowne pub at 2-4 Lansdowne Road. Apart from the Quixall family with Harry & Annie, it makes sense as it is a Stones pub which they got based on the success of the Stones brewery 'beer-off' on Charlotte Street which was pretty much run as a pub. Harry did the cooking and Annie ran the beer.

Sheffield Boston Hotel Quixall Family.jpg

Just tweaked it slightly.

695707FB-F434-4170-991A-00F3D16EDD6E.jpeg