Anyone been to Malta?

Sheffield History

I recently went to Malta. I stayed in a less exotic part of the island called Bugibba (next to St Paul's Bay)

Valletta was wonderful when I took a trip there, as was Popeye Village which was a fantastic day out

I gotta say Malta has a reputation for being full of elderly people taking their last few years of life under the sun but Malta has so much more than that.

Anyone else been?

I have been but only for one day when on a cruise 2 years ago. Had a good trip round the island .I would certianly like to go again for a short visit. One of my friends worked there for 2 years on a desalination plant about 30 years ago - he loved it & always wanted to go back . He did so around 3 years ago but as expected it wasn't what he knew so was a bit disappointed.

5 hours ago, johnm said:

I have been but only for one day when on a cruise 2 years ago. Had a good trip round the island .I would certianly like to go again for a short visit. One of my friends worked there for 2 years on a desalination plant about 30 years ago - he loved it & always wanted to go back . He did so around 3 years ago but as expected it wasn't what he knew so was a bit disappointed.

I was always told it was just older retired people but having visited I have to say there's a bit of everything there.

Even the port area is nice.

I went last winter and loved it. Heading back in a month or so.

I love Malta especially Bugibba  and St Pauls. I know some of the back streets don't look very inviting and it doesn't have as much greenery as Spain but I always feel comfortable here. There is loads of history here if you are interested in what happened here during the 2nd world war. The Popeye village used to be alright when it first opened up many years ago but I'm surprised it's still opened because over the years the smaller attractions and displays were disappearing. Loads of history in St Andrews where British and Australian soldiers were based some of the buildings built by the British and Australians dating  back to the early 1900s. the barracks in St Andrews are now living quarters for the locals and other military buildings made into schools.

This place is not on any tourist guide, we just happened to stumble on it when out walking but it does take up a vast area  with the parade grounds etc. I filmed most of it but the next time we holidayed there it was in a more broken down state  and more buildings were being made into accommodation. There was an old  cinema  which was full of graffiti  which would have been  a beauty once upon a time and then there was the prison and many many other buildings all once belonging to British and Australian forces. All very interesting I wonder how it looks today.

Then you have Valletta famous for may things like the Gut [ I think that's what they called it ] and the bombings that happened there during the war and let's not forget  The Pub now called Ollies after Oliver Reed. I had to go in this pub just to sit on the seat where Ollie died,  my hero. The pub's no bigger than my kitchen but it now has plenty of history.

Never been there, but a colleague spent a few years,courtesy of the King, being bombed and strafed, on a daily basis, by the Luftwaffe and Regie Aeronautica  He did leave on three occasions...on the first two his ship was sunk, the third attempt was succesful. He always wanted to go back but never did.

• Like 1