Is this the best Fish and Chip shop????

Thorntons girl

I know this is not strictly Sheffield to be in this category but we get the 271/272 to get here.

The best Fish and chip shop is ? Bradwell fisheries, the fish is huge, the chips soft and still a little greasy(just as I like them) and the mushy peas yummy!! The prices are good value, we got Haddock, chips and peas, Cod, chips and peas and two cans of pop and it was around £13.00.

The service is impeccable and everything cooked fresh to order.

You get all this and you are surrounded by wonderful scenery, could you ask for more?

my_birthday_spent_in_Bradwell_220.JPG

my_birthday_spent_in_Bradwell_107.JPG

• Like 2

Seeing the cement factory brought a smile to my face!

I was installing a heating system at a farm on the hillside over looking Castleton some time in the late 60s.

The farmer was having a running battle with Peak Planning about the sighting of his caravan,  Peak Planning wanted it storing out of sight so it couldn't be seen from the Villiage.

The farmer replied using a few choice words!!  when you take down that chimney I'll shift my caravan.

• Like 1

Good thread! I love fish n chips

Let's expand it out a little to which fish and chip shop from Sheffield's past that's now no longer there did you used to love?

No contest! Furniss' on Hollinsend Road in Gleadless, right-hand side as you went down from the main road. Mum, Dad and I tried one or two others in the area but the quality didn't come close. Ooooh, I can just taste their fishcakes (as in two slices of potato, fish in between, cooked in batter) now, and I'm subconsciously reaching out for a bowl to take the peas home in. Apparently in later years it became a Chinese Chippy, not sure if it is still there now.

Im sure it was called White Hart chip shop on White Lane, near Gleadless Townsend and next door to the old Harrow pub? Its now Rainbow Chinese takeaway. 

I know I highly rated Queenies during the 50/60's, but another one for which I have fond memories was Hoskins on Bellhouse Road, Shiregreen. As a young lad ,after an evening stroll with Mum and Dad around ( well, almost) Concord Park a treat walking home was chips and a fish cake...eaten "open" not "wrapped" ...and with lashings of salt and enough vinegar to sip it out of the corner of the bag of chips. Incomparable and, doubtless, unhealthy.

To-days try Whitby fisheries just off the parkway eat in or take away, back in the sixties Alf Jacksons on the cliffe took some beating lived near by, did see one weekend two coaches ,sat night pull up .

Furness chip shop on Hollinsend road is long gone,all the block of houses has gone and it is now a row of bungalows.

Thanks, Jackanne. What a shame. 

We started going there about 1960 when Mum decided that she didn't want to cook seven days a week. So every Saturday about one o'clock Dad and I would go down there in the Hillman Minx, returning with that delicious-smelling newspaper-wrapped parcel whose contents would be eagerly devoured once we got home. That was a ritual for some two years until we moved from Sheffield. We did try one or two chippies in our new home of Ashby-de-la-Zouch, but they didn't even come near Furness' standard.

I wonder if there is a photo of the shop.

1 hour ago, Athy said:

Thanks, Jackanne. What a shame. 

We started going there about 1960 when Mum decided that she didn't want to cook seven days a week. So every Saturday about one o'clock Dad and I would go down there in the Hillman Minx, returning with that delicious-smelling newspaper-wrapped parcel whose contents would be eagerly devoured once we got home. That was a ritual for some two years until we moved from Sheffield. We did try one or two chippies in our new home of Ashby-de-la-Zouch, but they didn't even come near Furness' standard.

I wonder if there is a photo of the shop.

No sign of any photos of Furness’ chip-oyle, but found your posting on ‘canalworld’, with similar recollections, back in 2013. Amazing what one can find on t’inter? :)

Oh dear, I have few original ideas so I have to recycle the old ones!

So, are you a narrowboat owner too?

21 minutes ago, Athy said:

Oh dear, I have few original ideas so I have to recycle the old ones!

So, are you a narrowboat owner too?

Sadly not, but I rather like the idea of it. I remember a school trip to Wroxham (although most people called it Royston, or Roy’s Town for some reason?) and we all piled on one of those blue fibreglass boats for a trip on the broads.

i wouldn’t mind a week or so, pootling down a canal somewhere, maybe through some areas of our old industrial heritage? That TV program with Tim West and Pru Scales seems to be on that theme..... 

Was Furness’ on the same side as the Royal Oak & Hollin Bush, or on the opposite side, across from the end of Stanhope Road? You remember the lock-ups on the lane to the old Birley West pit site (red hills), opposite the bowling alley on Birley Moor Road? I used to fetch-and-carry for a fella on there, who had a car repair garage and I’m sure I used to get sent up to a chippy on Hollinsend Road? I was shown the shortcut, nip behind the 95 terminus, up Shirebrook and alongside the allotments, coming out on Hollinsend Road. Funny thing is that on today’s Google aerial view, that route looks the long way round! Hah...

I was too young to notice the pubs - I was not yet 14 when we left Sheffield, though I do remember the name "Hollin Bush". Furness' was on the right-hand side going down the hill from Ridgeway Road, further down than Gleadless School and on the opposite side. I think there were other shops nearby but can't remember what they were, except there was a sweetshop on the left.

Chippy Dixon in Greenhill sold the best fish & chips around our way as far as we were concerned, chips and a threepenny fish, all for a tanner.

As kids we would chant this little ditty just to annoy him.    Chippy Dixon sells fish three halfpence a dish  "don't buy it"  "don't buy it"  it stinks when you fry it.

Good detective work, RLongden!

"Fried fish dealer" - how prim. I remember Mrs. Furniss who had a distinctive face - her top lip stuck out further than the bottom one. I had never sen anyone with that feature before. How odd that one remembers such peculiar details after some 55 years.

Dont you all think that Fish and chips used to taste a lot better than they do nowadays?

The chips used to be just the right side of greasy, the batter thinner and crispier, you could taste the fish and the mushy peas were mushier! Plus they came wrapped in proper newspaper which added to the taste!!

Maybe its me, maybe they are just as good as they were now, maybe my taste buds have changed.

I started this topic and as much as the chippy was delicious at Bradwell, they were not as delicious as the chippy I went to as a child and got a "Mix up" (Chips and mushy peas) for thrupence!

What do you all think?

The change from frying fish and chips in beef dripping to vegetable oil has without a doubt altered the taste. Plus, the traditIonal ‘chippy’ is now a rare breed, with kebabs, fried chicken and pizzas, all jockeying for position in many of the old shops.... those who have escaped the transition to the ubiquitous Chinese, Indian, Turkish, etc. takeaways.

There was a time, even in my relatively recent youth, when the chippy ‘menu’ consisted of cod, haddock, fishcake (proper ones), rissole (imposter fishcake!), roe, saveloy (latterly battered sausage), peas, curry sauce (no baked beans) and buttered bread cakes under a Perspex dome. Pukka Pies, pickled onions, eggs and the ability to buy vinegar, pop and other outsales for consumption off the premises. Waste products of scallops (the potato portion of the fishcake, fallen apart in the frier) and scraps (crunchy clumps of batter, separated from the fish.... or sometimes luckily still containing some!) were given away free on request, if they were visible in the warmer.

’Open’ was in newspaper, or plain paper, skilfully crafted (origami-style) into a perfect container for eating on-the-go (but what was the little greasproof paper bag, amongst your chips in aid of?)

’On a Tray’. As above, but the ability to securely contain ‘wet’ accompaniments, such as peas or curry. 2p surcharge over ‘Open’

‘Wrapped’. Packaged securely for eating at home/work and multiple portions of chips were merged into one amorphous mass, separated vaguely with the greasproof bag, almost guaranteed to result in a punch-up as the diners tried to divvy-up!

Wooden (lolly stick wood) forks gave way to plastic, paper wrapping gave way to polystyrene clamshell boxes and the menu expanded to include many other options, which detracted from purist chippy fare.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fish_and_chips

There may be other chippies in town that still observe the traditional ways, but one near my work on Whitt’ Moor in Chesterfield still do and although they only open two lunchtimes and three evenings a week, they have queues down the street, whenever I pass and see them open.

Happy days and how come as a kid, you could scoff them with impunity, whereas nowadays just the smell of them and you put a stone on?! :) 

I ran a chippy in Sheffield for a time while also doing other jobs, our fat mix did include some dripping. We never went in to the foreign stuff, not even curry,  there never seemed to be a demand for it at the time, but one thing we did do that has not been mentioned was battered sprats.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, lysander said:

Battered sprats? Never 'erd of em!

Sprats were very popular when fish came in fresh from the east coast and even at home we always battered and deep fried them. Talk of fish made me wonder is there a fish market in Sheffield at the moment, and if so, where is it please?

battered_sprats.jpg

• Like 1

Back in the 1940s/early 50s living with my Grimsby born Granny and Grandad we had fresh fish from Grimsby or Hull almost every week...  I remember the occasional parcel of skate, conger eel, halibut, turbot and,of course, plaice, cod, haddock and herring (mackerel was taboo as my granny said it was a dirty fish and wouldn't have it in the house) but I never remember having sprats either at home or in the many chippies around Firth Park and district.

Sprats?? I must admit I had never heard of them, thanks for the info boginspro, what did they taste like? They certainly look tasty.

I wonder if any chippys in Sheffield do them now and if they dont they should!!

Any chip shop owners out there willing to take the challenge?!