Paternoster Row and Sidney Street

Sheffield History

Sidney Street is about to be transformed beyond belief. A few details in this video but it would be good to hear from anyone who remembers Paternoster Row and Sidney Street in years gone by to give some idea of what it was like to live or work in that area.

Was it mostly steelworks and little workshops?

• Like 1

Davy's the bakery makers were on Paternoster Row. My mum, sister and her husband all worked there. In fact my sister met her husband there!

My mum used to sing to the Nancy Sinatra song "these pies are made for eating and that's just what you will do".

On ‎18‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 18:01, Arif said:

I used to work at Greaves cabinet makers on Sidney Street. Butlers the cutlers were opposite.

In 1951 / 52 I worked at FEL- Electric, a firm that manufactured transformers. They were next door to Butlers

21 minutes ago, Stentor said:

In 1951 / 52 I worked at FEL- Electric, a firm that manufactured transformers. They were next door to Butlers

I worked in the Fel Electric building after they moved out, was there a fire? I had the upper floor with the sliding doors onto Sidney Street,  it was a Bolstering shop.

My Great Grandfather was John Henry Law Undertaker of 70 Sidney Street from 1919. I recently took a couple of photographs of where the business was and here's a family photo of John Henry outside the business all those years ago.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DJayne said:

My Great Grandfather was John Henry Law Undertaker of 70 Sidney Street from 1919. I recently took a couple of photographs of where the business was and here's a family photo of John Henry outside the business all those years ago. 

What a great family photo' to have, I don't have any family ones as early as that even though in that year my Gran was 44 and my Mother 4 years old. My Uncle was an infant and he is still alive so to him it's not so long ago but how things have changed over nearly a hundred years.

2 minutes ago, boginspro said:

What a great family photo' to have, I don't have any family ones as early as that even though in that year my Gran was 44 and my Mother 4 years old. My Uncle was an infant and he is still alive so to him it's not so long ago but how things have changed over nearly a hundred years.

Thanks for your response, I'm not quite sure what year the photo was taken but I know from census records that they were there from 1919 and my Great Grandfather would have been 24 years old then. It's great to see all the old pics of times gone by.

• Like 1