sheffield desk ornament

Rudd

This little bronze tortoise was brought to Australia by my Grandfather Edwin Gibbins Rudd in 1883. HIs father Thomas was a cutler, also his brother Charlie. Does anyone know why it had holes on top? I saw domething similar on the AntiquesRoadshow and it had a bird on its back. Were they common desk ornaments in Sheffield? 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Good guesses but the holes seem too small to hold a pen. Maybe incense but was that a fashion in 1886? The holes do not go right through for string. And what about the ibis or stork I saw standing on the back of one on the Roadshow? Has anyone seen anything like that? 

Reminds me of the sign for the North American, First Nation, Mohawk ,Turtle Clan...especially the markings on its back. I doubt there is any connection but there is a startling similarity.

That's  possible.  Or whoever made it. Do you think the family cutlery business would have also made  such ornaments? They certainly went in for teapots, razors, even sewing machines and more as time went on.

I have never heard of a Sheffield made sewing machine...I wonder if you can enlighten me?