Sheffield History

Moorfoot in Sheffield City Centre

Moorfoot.jpg

Can someone please tell me what Moorfoot was like in the 1960's and 1970's?

These days it's like a ghost town - has it always been that way?

No it wasn't a 'ghost town'. The problem is the Manpowers Services building (or whatever it is called now) that was built straight across the bottom of the Moor cutting off direct access from the Moor to London Road. There was supposed to be foot access via an arch beneath the building which is still there, I believe, but has always been blocked.

Yeah it's definitely bookended The Moor hasn't it.
What a shame and no sign of it going away either sadly

I think there are plans to revitalise Moorfoot into some kind of LGBT community area with bars etc

Just seems to me to have been pretty dead down there for quite some time now

The flow of traffic down the Moor prior to the horrible changes was ok, not everyone is a lover of pedestrianisation and I'm one of them.

• Like 1

The Moorfoot building, pedestrianisation , the expense of car parking, the removal of the free bus service added to the slow move away from the Moor as a shopping area have all contributed to its current state...and, of course, Meadowhell hasn't helped.

• Upvote 1

Bought my first posh suit ( hand stitched lapels) on the Moor in 1968, got it from Isadore Newman's.

Can't remember exactly where the shop was though, seem to think it was a prefab type building located at the bottom end of the Moor.

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, southside said:

Bought my first posh suit ( hand stitched lapels) on the Moor in 1968, got it from Isadore Newman's.

Can't remember exactly where the shop was though, seem to think it was a prefab type building located at the bottom end of the Moor.

You can see that shop on this post, if you scroll down you have the address and a picture of it.        --------     

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, boginspro said:

You can see that shop on this post, if you scroll down you have the address and a picture of it.        --------     

Thanks for the link boginspro.  remember it now!  I was working on Cemetery Road at the time, I used to walk up the Moor on my dinner break.

When did Virgin Records first open down there?

When did Hudson's Music shop close? And Crane's music shop a bit further up on the corner? I remember them both in the early 80s.