Moorfoot in Sheffield City Centre

Sheffield History

On 28/06/2018 at 14:39, grannypat said:

Sheffield Council Planning Department want shooting for what they've done to The Moorfoot. I grew up in a little house just across the road from The S & E Co-op or The Arcade as it was known as. The 50s and the 60s it was a vibrant and bustling area from the town hall all the way down. It's an absolute crime and I could weep when I see what it's like today.

In my opinion you put it perfectly. There has been great progress in many important things in my lifetime but in town planning, building design and the way we work and shop, things have gone terribly wrong, the Moor and town centre being a prime example. Regarding the Co-ops, as you know they were well liked and far superior to the modern supermarket, we had a couple of fine ones with arcades in town, Hitler flattened one and the council allowed the other to be flattened.

ET9h35OXQAIKTQx.jpg

ET9h3htWAAInLSL.jpg

Do these scenes of Moorfoot bring back any memories for people?

Do they look familiar?

• Like 2

When you could see straight through to London Road.

574e3d2621b4d127b28e7d400172b55e.jpg.7ebe277cb9f37190b1658895e353d7ba.jpg

1974 below

s24107.jpg.bdcdcb3e946ef2eb784244d798aa949d.jpg

At 3:12 on this video,you see the split rounabout that the Tram drives through. That's where London Road continuing straight up the Moor. I think Ecclesall Road joins from the Left. He says St Mary's Gate, but that's further down I thought. Video then jumps to High Street.

I would love tp see the full unedited version of that video, it misses out some of the most interesting bits!!!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, RichardS said:

I would love tp see the full unedited version of that video, it misses out some of the most interesting bits!!!

Some better detail on this one @RichardS

Although this is from Millhouses through to Attercliffe.

You can see how it was before Furnival Gate was built around 10:08

I didn't realise that it used to 'connect' with London Road. It looked much better in the 1970s photos.

1 hour ago, Stu_1981 said:

I didn't realise that it used to 'connect' with London Road. It looked much better in the 1970s photos.

Aye, straight continuation. Go back as far as the 60's and the whole area of Moorfoot, London Road, Ecclesall Road, Moore Street would be totally unrecognisable. I was born early 70's and can remember as a kid the amount of open spaces that were used as temporary car parks. MASSIVE amounts of bulldozing in the 60's.

On 11/06/2020 at 19:02, Stringy72 said:

When you could see straight through to London Road.

574e3d2621b4d127b28e7d400172b55e.jpg.7ebe277cb9f37190b1658895e353d7ba.jpg

1974 below

s24107.jpg.bdcdcb3e946ef2eb784244d798aa949d.jpg

At 3:12 on this video,you see the split rounabout that the Tram drives through. That's where London Road continuing straight up the Moor. I think Ecclesall Road joins from the Left. He says St Mary's Gate, but that's further down I thought. Video then jumps to High Street.

On the middle photo, I think the road in front of the white building on the left (the Arcade) is Cemetery Road, Ecclesall Road would be behind the white building. Cemetery Road used to be accessible from the roundabout as did Ecclesall Road.  The road at the right, coming down the picture to join London Road (with the bus on it), is Boston Street (you can just see the white canopy of the Locarno at the end of Boston Street (on right).   I am not too sure if St Mary's Gate extended up to the roundabout at that time but, if it did, it goes from the right of the roundabout.

Hope that helps, apologies for being a 'bit late at the races'.

14 minutes ago, Peter Walker said:

On the middle photo, I think the road in front of the white building on the left (the Arcade) is Cemetery Road, Ecclesall Road would be behind the white building. Cemetery Road used to be accessible from the roundabout as did Ecclesall Road.  The road at the right, coming down the picture to join London Road (with the bus on it), is Boston Street (you can just see the white canopy of the Locarno at the end of Boston Street (on right).   I am not too sure if St Mary's Gate extended up to the roundabout at that time but, if it did, it goes from the right of the roundabout.

Hope that helps, apologies for being a 'bit late at the races'.

Aye, it is Cemetery Road. You can't actually see Ecclesall Road on that. Boston Street is still there now and that small road between Boston Street and Cemetery Road is called Beeley Street (Well, it is on street view now) don't know if it had a different name back then. 

Wasn't there also a Clarence Street that branched off Ecclesall Road near to the Co-op building?

2 hours ago, Stringy72 said:

Aye, it is Cemetery Road. You can't actually see Ecclesall Road on that. Boston Street is still there now and that small road between Boston Street and Cemetery Road is called Beeley Street (Well, it is on street view now) don't know if it had a different name back then. 

Wasn't there also a Clarence Street that branched off Ecclesall Road near to the Co-op building?

Yes

1953 map

OS-#271crop.jpg

Boston Street used to be a bus route (The 74 from Ecclesall Terminus via Knowle Lane, Hoober Avenue, High Storrs Road, Greystones Road, Ecclesall Road, Sharrow Vale Road, Sharrow Lane, London Road before right into Boston Street).