The old civic restaurant

ukelele lady

Has anyone noticed the old civic restaurant on West Street has been demolished?

You could get a cheap meal in there in the late 1940s and early 50s although I've never been in the place myself  I know one or two elderly people who use to go there.

Has anyone else got memories of this building?  I believe it was also the Youth Employment Bureau at some stage. 

img345.jpg

Yes, I saw that it was coming down...I remember it when it was the Youth Unemployment Bureau and, as a consequence, my first port of call on leaving FPGS in the late 50's . Issued with 3  ( green I seem to remember)interview cards I made my way around the City,attended 3 interviews the same day, was called back to the second one and started work the following Monday. How times have changed!

I also remember it as the Centre against Unemployment.( SCAU}

There were also another larger civic restaurant at the side of the City Hall which is now a car park. I don't remember this one but it was demolished a long time ago.

1 hour ago, ukelele lady said:

There were also another larger civic restaurant at the side of the City Hall which is now a car park. I don't remember this one but it was demolished a long time ago.

They were originally called British Restaurants  (if they were all the same) opened during the war. The Scala Cinema on Winter Street was one for a time and there was one at the Pond Street end of Harmer Lane.

Do we have any old photos of the restaurant? Am intrigued to see where it was :)

10 hours ago, ukelele lady said:

I think that one was the building just visible to the left of the City Hall in this photo' from 1953. to the right of the Water Board building.         ------------        http://picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;y01289&pos=1&action=zoom&id=48377

barkers_pool_53.jpg

I do not remember the one on West Street but I do recall the one just behind City Hall and I remember my mother taking me there,

Food was not great but it was wartime or just after and Great British Food was still far on the horizon.