Raphael Henry Parker

tozzin

I've been trying to find any information on this Artist, he lived on Park Lane Broomhall in 1879 and other than this bit of info and a directory mention, he's proving very elusive, any info would be of a great help.
Raphael Hyde Parker,  was the drawing master at Wesley College while still in his teens, and exhibited at the Society of British Artists and the Royal Academy. Following his move to London, Parker remarried. He continued to exhibit his work, but struggled to make a living, and died in poverty at his home – 1 Blenheim Villas, Goldhawk Road, Shepherd’s Bush – on 9 November 1873.

Henry Perlee Parker was born in Devonport in 1795 but went to Newcastle in 1815. He left Newcastle in 1841 and being a Wesleyan came to Sheffield as Art Master at Wesley College.  At the census of that year he was living at Glossop Road with his wife Amy and family of 8 sons and daughters including Raphael then aged 12. Henry was there for only 3 years and then removed to London where he did very well.  His son Raphael was later appointed drawing master at Wesley College.  On 10th June 1931 the Sheffield Telegraph published a photograph of a picture painted by HP Parker, the original was in the Cutlers Hall.

Here's one of his paintings (from the British Museum website).  "Sheffield From the South East" quoted by the British Museum as being from 1844.  Next question - where was he viewing from?

1569076710_SheffieldformtheSouthEast.png.778c8c4daad6db455d7050bf95073a8c.png

I'm thinking Chesterfield Road, roughly where Homebase is. The vista reminds me of another thread recently - hang on a sec...

https://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/forums/topic/16551-new-book-about-the-history-of-nether-edge/?tab=comments#comment-139758

Actually I think I'm too far out. Maybe a lot closer in like East Bank Road / Ball Inn or even City Road (I'm guessing now)

My guess would be the Cholera Grounds - the church in the centre being St Pauls and in a direct line towards the hill at Walkley

Am I imagining this or do I see The Cholera Monument on the far left, also possibly Saint George's Church to the right of Saint Paul's. If so it would seem to line up with somewhere near Manor Lathes behind the Rough Bank Plantation, my only other thought would be Sky Edge behind the Sky Edge Plantation.

Found it on Picture Sheffield, they say it's Sky Edge.      ----------        http://picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s11503&pos=9&action=zoom&id=14494        ---------       

EDIT It's apparently in the Cutlers Hall; website here  -------    http://www.s10probus.co.uk/The Cutlers Hall/

sky_edge.jpg

hp_parker.png

Am I imagining this or do I see The Cholera Monument on the far left, also possibly Saint George's Church to the right of Saint Paul's. If so it would seem to line up with somewhere near Manor Lathes behind the Rough Bank Plantation, my only other thought would be Sky Edge behind the Sky Edge Plantation.

Well spotted!  The road from the Cholera Monument goes directly to the Shrewsbury Hospital where the central chapel is the only part that stands out.

Shows up on the 1838 map, with the steep fall away of the ground illustrated.

2035094459_1838Park.png.e7f224c8721dad84c82fb612903ffea2.png

60056377_ShrewsburyHospital.png.68cd553fef2ab99d74dc14283f1138dd.png

1752363481_SheffieldfromtheSouthEast-Google.png.f70479e19776583691bb56321adbcf7c.png