Sheffield History

The old Sheffield Peace Gardens and Town Hall 'Egg Box' Extension

Peace Gardens.jpg

post-513-1179920315.jpg

Sheffield's improving beyond belief and improving extremely quickly

It seems that Sheffield City Centre is evolving faster in these last few years and coming years than ever before in it's history.

Remember the old Town Hall 'Egg Box' extension and just how grim the Sheffield Peace Gardens used to be?

Forgive me ,but as a life long Sheffielder ( I am told I am a member of the"silent generation") who, for a number of years, had an office overlooking our Peace gardens I really cannot agree with you about them being "Grim". True, in their latter, "unimproved" years they offered sanctuary for a few winos but, in the main were a peaceful oasis in a bustling, very vibrant City centre. They were designed to be "formal" ,as one would expect from their vintage, and their name recognised the peace after the years of war and destruction....especially of the horror of Hiroshima.... as well as of the World Peace Conference held in Sheffield in 1950 to which Pablo Picasso was an attendee. The "egg box" didn't last too long, so one wonders, just how long will the other additions to the "improving city"?

On 08/05/2018 at 08:16, lysander said:

Forgive me ,but as a life long Sheffielder ( I am told I am a member of the"silent generation") who, for a number of years, had an office overlooking our Peace gardens I really cannot agree with you about them being "Grim". True, in their latter, "unimproved" years they offered sanctuary for a few winos but, in the main were a peaceful oasis in a bustling, very vibrant City centre. They were designed to be "formal" ,as one would expect from their vintage, and their name recognised the peace after the years of war and destruction....especially of the horror of Hiroshima.... as well as of the World Peace Conference held in Sheffield in 1950 to which Pablo Picasso was an attendee. The "egg box" didn't last too long, so one wonders, just how long will the other additions to the "improving city"?

Hi lysander, I agree with you that the Peace Gardens was a lovely oasis in the centre of town, with the colourful plants and a place to sit and rest for a while. While the new gardens are ok, they don't have that graceful character. The 'Egg Box' is mentioned in several places on here, comments about it would benefit by being put together. It seems a general opinion that the building was an 'eye sore', and as I wrote on one of the posts, It was not a nice place to work in either, my Sister-in -law ended up working there for a time, she said it was dark, miserable, depressing and badly set out, she was glad when she was able to leave. I have heard it mentioned by several Sheffielders that it looked like a 'Prison'

Hi lysander, I agree with you that the Peace Gardens was a lovely oasis in the centre of town, with the colourful plants and a place to sit and rest for a while. While the new gardens are ok, they don't have that graceful character. The 'Egg Box' is mentioned in several places on here, comments about it would benefit by being put together. It seems a general opinion that the building was an 'eye sore', and as I wrote on one of the posts, It was not a nice place to work in either, my Sister-in -law ended up working there for a time, she said it was dark, miserable, depressing and badly set out, she was glad when she was able to leave. I have heard it mentioned by several Sheffielders that it looked like a 'Prison'

What I could never understand was why ever it was built as it did not 'fit' into any of the architecture of the area and certainly not with the town hall. It was just a designer's fancy and presumably they didn't have to work in there. A bit like Park Hill, of course a vast improvement on old back to backs etc, and now Grade II listed but was (is) there the same community spirit as before? The designers don't have to live in there.

A bit like the 'new' Gaumont with the 'scaffolding' and mirror glass. In answer to complaints that it didn't fit in, especially with the City Hall opposite, there was the response that the mirror effect reflected views of the City Hall to help it 'fit in. If that was the case then why not build something more in keeping with the surroundings? 

I have always preferred the old Peace Gardens to what we have now, they were much bigger and the formal beds were a joy but now it's turned into a an outdoor eating area and playground for children, the older end of which I'm one like to sit and read, listen to the birds and talk of things that have gone.