What shops have gone from The Moor? Can we remember them all?

Sheffield History

ea205c7de16b58366601e9e800f749d3-1.jpg

Woolworths, British Home Stores, The big McDonalds at the top of the Moor

What other shops and restaurants used to be on The Moor in Sheffield City Centre that aren't there any longer?

Can we name them all?

A McDonald's has closed down? That must be a step forward for civilisation. It's a pity about BHS and Woollies, though, two shops which had "always been there" and which many of us thought always would be.

I’m sure there was a British Gas showroom down there, with the shop upstairs and some kiosks downstairs, where you had to go to pay your bills (or was it the other way round?). However, I also remember another on Coles Corner at the bottom of Fargate, so maybe there were two? I only remember the one on the Moor, as several of my family chipped in to buy me and the wife a cooker for our wedding present and we had to go here to claim it and organise delivery.

If you were to really put your mind to what was on the Moor, there are dozens of shops that are now gone. However, that seems to be symptomatic of the whole of ‘town’, where we have a declining number of premium retailers, but then Meadowhall killed town stone dead.

Habitat, Marks and Spencer, British Gas were there as well as Suggs , Zing Vaa and Roberts Brothers.

Ahhh Habitat of course!! I forgot about that place! Was it just down from Debenhams on the same side with loads of lamps in the window?

Just about everything could be bought on The Moor, I will chip in a few I remember offhand,  Binns, Jays, Lewis Leathers, Halfords, Boots, and I seem to remember a butchers shop ( a proper butcher, not plastic wrapped stuff ), but can't remember what it was called.

Hudsons (music shop), Virgin Records, Quadrant Stationers (was it later open as Athena?), Pauldens all come to mind.

At one time, going up on the left would have gone past a row of single story shops. I think there was a fancy dress shop here and there may have been a Thorntons Chocolate Kabin as well.

7 hours ago, boginspro said:

Just about everything could be bought on The Moor, I will chip in a few I remember offhand,  Binns, Jays, Lewis Leathers, Halfords, Boots, and I seem to remember a butchers shop ( a proper butcher, not plastic wrapped stuff ), but can't remember what it was called.

Stern/Clyne.   Corner of The Moor and Cumberland Street in the mid 60s. Very good for anything electronic. DIY  valve and transistor radio kits, gramophones, tape recorders and well, just name it. Into Short Wave then nothing too much trouble. Happy days. W/E.

14 minutes ago, Waterside Echo said:

Stern/Clyne.   Corner of The Moor and Cumberland Street in the mid 60s. Very good for anything electronic. DIY  valve and transistor radio kits, gramophones, tape recorders and well, just name it. Into Short Wave then nothing too much trouble. Happy days. W/E.

Butchers shop would be Talbots.

• Like 1

Kelly’s Directory 1970.

apart from Paulden’s (Debenhams) and Atkinson’s department stores, I don’t recognise any other business that’s still there today?!

Hopefully, you’ll be able to zoom into the detail, as I’ve enlarged it as much as possible.....

027F4E1A-A95E-47E0-B0BC-D771052822B6.jpeg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RLongden said:

Kelly’s Directory 1970

One on there I certainly should have remembered , Timpson's, I actually worked for them in the 60's. This photo' from 1968 shows what we had. ( Progress what progress? )

christmas_lights_the_moor_1968.jpg

• Like 1

Kelly's directory emphasises the changes in retail affecting all our High Streets. Gone are the majority of local outlets to be replaced by chain stores...and with them choice...

i remember Redmonds ,my mum used to buy ground almonds from there every week ,to make bakewell tarts with for the Soda Fountain in Castle Market.

On 04/05/2018 at 13:04, James_S said:

Hudsons (music shop), Virgin Records, Quadrant Stationers (was it later open as Athena?), Pauldens all come to mind.

Virgin Records!! That rings a bell 

Was it same side as Debenhams?

Some of us still refer to Debenham's as "Pauldens"....my uncle, a butcher, had the contract to supply the latter with meat for their small instore super-market.

On 05/05/2018 at 23:13, Sheffield History said:

Virgin Records!! That rings a bell 

Was it same side as Debenhams?

It did move later on to the top of Fargate, but the original one was a little shop down at the very bottom part of the Moor (where the Manpower building closes off the road) and on the opposite side to Debenhams. Certainly it was there in the early 80s.

On 04/05/2018 at 17:34, Hopman said:

At one time, going up on the left would have gone past a row of single story shops. I think there was a fancy dress shop here and there may have been a Thorntons Chocolate Kabin as well.

Hi Hopman, if the shops are the ones i'm thinking of, Mum said they were put up after the War Blitz destruction. I remember there was a Dress Fabric Shop Mum used to go in, and I think a Cake/Sweet Shop. Opposite side of the road to them was a Pub and a Butchers.

1 hour ago, Heartshome said:

Hi Hopman, if the shops are the ones i'm thinking of, Mum said they were put up after the War Blitz destruction. I remember there was a Dress Fabric Shop Mum used to go in, and I think a Cake/Sweet Shop. Opposite side of the road to them was a Pub and a Butchers.

http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s18074&pos=27&action=zoom&id=20660

http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s00213&pos=19&action=zoom&id=4196

http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;w02611&pos=51&action=zoom&id=126982

6E55EA1E-DE50-4321-BF68-52292B97A3DD.jpeg

B2E36F92-A74B-4853-BA3F-CAE1C1492135.jpeg

DE94587F-50E7-4045-982E-B6A01EBC8BF5.jpeg

• Like 1

Note the "Roller" on photo 2. It was once said( when Sheffield was a boom town) that there were more RRs registered In Sheffield than anywhere else out of London. Isidore Newman ...a name to conjure with for any smart, young man around town...if he could afford the cut!

Lewis Leathers, (between Schofield's and Theatrical Supplies), claimed to be "Britain's oldest motorcycle clothing company"  and are still on the go on the internet. I wonder if their stuff is as good as it was when I bought all my bike clothing from that shop. My leathers, and Belstaff clothes were very good and lasted for years, I had my boots for over 30 years, repaired a few times, and only lost them in a house move.          -------------------         https://www.lewisleathers.com/Product-Overview.html

The second shot, taken from across the road, shows a patch of waste ground. I remember this being used for Army Recruiting with vehicles and equipment. I also seem to recall this was filled with fir trees in December and became a Santa's Grotto, though I think South Street was put through this site.

Somewhere at the back of the shops was a modern looking Post Office (modern for then!).

At the bottom end of the Moor was the Yorkshire Bank. I remember going in there with my father on a Saturday morning as he cashed a cheque after pushing two pennies across the counter for stamp duty.

Wow, yes, these are the shops I remember, brilliant pictures. I dont know which shop Mum got the material from, it would have been early 1960s, they were ' Off Cuts' having paper labels with the size and price on, they were on the left hand side on a small counter top. -  I guess the Cake/Sweet Shop I remembered was Thorntons. Thanks for that.