Unusual Velocipedes in Sheffield.

boginspro

My Gran would possibly have seen these things in her younger years, perhaps even rode one. though I doubt she had the brass to buy one. The Lady in the photo' apparently lived to be 102.

QUOTE -  Miss Clara Hayball, (Mrs. Keeling), on a velocipede, taken by her father, Arthur Hayball at his wood-carving works on Cavendish Street (Nos 9, 11 and 13) Year 1875 - UNQUOTE

It looks like a reasonably engineered machine, I would love to see a diagram of the design, has anyone come across makers in Sheffield of these machines to this or similar design rather than the more usual bicycle or tricycle?

--------- (c) http://picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;y00516&pos=26&action=zoom&id=47740

velocipede.jpg

• Like 1

Sheffield Daily Telegraph 17 July 1869

Velocipede's for sale or hire.
Gentlemen taught in three lessons.

velocipede.JPG

• Like 1

Sheffield Daily Telegraph 29 July 1869

C,H,Wood,  Velocipede Manufacturer, Moorhead Works.

velocipede.JPG

• Like 1

Thanks  syrup  , it's interesting that although those articles are earlier than the year given on the Picture Sheffield page, it appears that the velocipedes mentioned in them seem to be of the early bicycle variety, pedals apparently were first fitted to bicycles in the 1860's in France as an improvement to the hobby horse. . It couldn't have been long before the word velocipede was dropped altogether for road machines in favour of the words bicycle , tricycle etc.