The changing face of historic Cambridge Street

Sheffield History

Cambridge Street Sheffield.jpg

Walk down Cambridge Street and into Charter Square in Sheffield City Centre - both of which are about to change beyond all recognition.

• Like 1

Very interesting to see what's there now on Cambridge Street, thank you. Regarding a lot of the businesses that are mentioned in the film that have been there and gone, I have never seen or heard of some of them having not seen Sheffield for many years.

Sad to see that the three pubs I remember on that street have all gone (OK I always remember pubs) but at least some of the buildings round and including the Barleycorn are still there. The buildings still standing near the Barleycorn  (in the 60's probably) that I remember off hand were Greenups on the corner, then the Barleycorn, a cutlery works, the old Bethel Chapel Sunday school  and then Binn's shop.

By coincidence I recently came across this photo' of the Barleycorn in 1901 on (c) Picture Sheffield .    ---------       http://picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;w00131&pos=1&action=zoom&id=45491

barleycorn.jpg