Hatfield House Lane Class J3 1962 Where are you?

Fairthornroader

11 minutes ago, Ponytail said:

We certainly weren't molly codled. Don't forget the custard with the thick skin. It's no wonder we were so skinny, half starved. 😂

Err, we DID get canteen fish n chips, once in a while??  ..... Talking of food,, better get skates on and go do the essential shopping for one, before they run out of what I need..  Will also give me time to recollect any other anomalies from our past and remember how badly we were treated. 🤣

1 minute ago, Fairthornroader said:

Err, we DID get canteen fish n chips, once in a while??  ..... Talking of food,, better get skates on and go do the essential shopping for one, before they run out of what I need..  Will also give me time to recollect any other anomalies from our past and remember how badly we were treated. 🤣

Look forward to it. 😂

3 hours ago, Ponytail said:

If you look at our class photograph most of us are skinny. Were we half starved or was it the near sugar free diet? There again it wasn't warm in school so we probably burnt off any excess trying to keep warm. 😂

You're right. We were starved.  Sugar free(ish) until we visited the next door's sweetshop and gorged on the blackjacks, fruitella's and the frozen Jubblies. 😂  But the place had its down side.. Licorice flavored wood sticks !!  Cheaper then the genuine catherine wheels with the gob stopper in the middle but never again do I want to be re-accustomed to those. 🤢 

3 hours ago, Ponytail said:

If you look at our class photograph most of us are skinny. Were we half starved or was it the near sugar free diet? There again it wasn't warm in school so we probably burnt off any excess trying to keep warm. 😂

It didn't help either, on those dank and frequently foggy mornings, when it was gym session in the main hall. I felt sorry for the girls having to run around in just their white tops and navy blue knickers,,, and for those that supposedly arrived without their plimsoll's and were forced into performing in their bare feet! Parquet floors were never really clean and splinters were abundant. School nurse probably had a job lot of Iodine to get rid of and that exercise provided the opportunity to dwindle down the stocks? 🤣

You're right. We were starved.  Sugar free(ish) until we visited the next door's sweetshop and gorged on the blackjacks, fruitella's and the frozen Jubblies. 😂  But the place had its down side.. Licorice flavored wood sticks !!  Cheaper then the genuine catherine wheels with the gob stopper in the middle but never again do I want to be re-accustomed to those. 🤢 

Mrs. Smith the sweetshop owner lived next door to us on Bellhouse Road. Her sons had a greengrocers near St Christopher's Church on Bellhouse Road. I was never allowed pennies to spend at the shop until.... My mother was in hospital awhile after an operation, guess where Ponytail was invited after school to wait until my sister or dad came to collect me. She spoilt me rotten, sherbet fountains, Black Jack's and something that resembled a space ship that exploded in your mouth think that was sherbet as well. Nearly choking on the sherbet and black jack round my mouth my mother would have had a fit. 😂

2 minutes ago, Fairthornroader said:

It didn't help either, on those dank and frequently foggy mornings, when it was gym session in the main hall. I felt sorry for the girls having to run around in just their white tops and navy blue knickers,,, and for those that supposedly arrived without their plimsoll's and were forced into performing in their bare feet! Parquet floors were never really clean and splinters were abundant. School nurse probably had a job lot of Iodine to get rid of and that exercise provided the opportunity to dwindle down the stocks? 🤣

All right for you, girls were still running around in white blouses and navy blue knickers at High Storrs but I suppose you noticed that. Could never get the hang of cartwheels and forward rolls. 

2 minutes ago, Ponytail said:

Mrs. Smith the sweetshop owner lived next door to us on Bellhouse Road. Her sons had a greengrocers near St Christopher's Church on Bellhouse Road. I was never allowed pennies to spend at the shop until.... My mother was in hospital awhile after an operation, guess where Ponytail was invited after school to wait until my sister or dad came to collect me. She spoilt me rotten, sherbet fountains, Black Jack's and something that resembled a space ship that exploded in your mouth think that was sherbet as well. Nearly choking on the sherbet and black jack round my mouth my mother would have had a fit. 😂

aww, shame on them. I got enough pocket money to be in there, most days + penny apples etc from greengrocer's at bottom of Sicey Ave and the pictures on Saturday mornings..  Never expended to the sherbet fountains and only got those given to me on special occasions. YIp, yer space ships were Flying Saucers and I think they were manufactured ( correct if wrong ) by a company in Belgium and distributed by Bassetts ( who do/did the licorice allsorts? ) ... err, we forgot to mention, swizzlers and love hearts.  Story in there, somewhere.. 😘

aww, shame on them. I got enough pocket money to be in there, most days + penny apples etc from greengrocer's at bottom of Sicey Ave and the pictures on Saturday mornings..  Never expended to the sherbet fountains and only got those given to me on special occasions. YIp, yer space ships were Flying Saucers and I think they were manufactured ( correct if wrong ) by a company in Belgium and distributed by Bassetts ( who do/did the licorice allsorts? ) ... err, we forgot to mention, swizzlers and love hearts.  Story in there, somewhere.. 😘

Love hearts, oh dear when I was offered one it was usually one that was a disapointment. Did you go to the Paragon before they knocked it down and built a bowling alley

8 minutes ago, Ponytail said:

All right for you, girls were still running around in white blouses and navy blue knickers at High Storrs but I suppose you noticed that. Could never get the hang of cartwheels and forward rolls. 

I plead the 5th amendment to an obvious response to the first part of that..... 😇 ....  but DO recall, an occasion there when I was manhandled by a few err " mates " and forcibly put on the other side of the separating doors at HS and held in till obvious female teacher came along and got the sole blame for the prank!

1 minute ago, Ponytail said:

Love hearts, oh dear when I was offered one it was usually one that was a disapointment. Did you go to the Paragon before they knocked it down and built a bowling alley

Err, sorry about that.. 🤣   ................ Yip.. went to both .. Paragon during the Junior school period, on Saturday morning's. Wasn't in the UK when it was demolished for the Fine Fare supermarket establishment and the extended area behind it which became the bowling alley. and only when it was Fairlanes..  By which time, I already had a couple of extensive years, bowling opportunities in Canada and was flavour of the night when they dragged me into team competition events. 😉 I understand the place ( albeit having had several owners since ) is still active??

I plead the 5th amendment to an obvious response to the first part of that..... 😇 ....  but DO recall, an occasion there when I was manhandled by a few err " mates " and forcibly put on the other side of the separating doors at HS and held in till obvious female teacher came along and got the sole blame for the prank!

Aren't schoolchildren cruel but at least we didn't have social media to get at you all the time. Going the other side of those dividing doors was big big trouble. Miss Furtado had her office behind them, in the boys part. She always wore a black gown that was so tatty think she'd had it since graduation and she was ready to retire. I had to run the gauntlet of the Flower Estate children as I walked up Bellhouse Road from Firth Park. Grammar School set you apart, the green beret was definitely off by then. 

Err, sorry about that.. 🤣   ................ Yip.. went to both .. Paragon during the Junior school period, on Saturday morning's. Wasn't in the UK when it was demolished for the Fine Fare supermarket establishment and the extended area behind it which became the bowling alley. and only when it was Fairlanes..  By which time, I already had a couple of extensive years, bowling opportunities in Canada and was flavour of the night when they dragged me into team competition events. 😉 I understand the place ( albeit having had several owners since ) is still active??

Oooh you are sporty. Do you still play now? I sneaked in on opening day, only ever played a few times. Hockey was my sport at school. If I came home limping, dad who also played hockey didn't have any sympathy, "You've got another leg." was all he'd say. 🙄

7 minutes ago, Ponytail said:

Oooh you are sporty. Do you still play now? I sneaked in on opening day, only ever played a few times. Hockey was my sport at school. If I came home limping, dad who also played hockey didn't have any sympathy, "You've got another leg." was all he'd say. 🙄

Hey young man for the second time today HHL thread is down as hot. 🔥😂😂🤣🤣

4 minutes ago, Ponytail said:

Aren't schoolchildren cruel but at least we didn't have social media to get at you all the time. Going the other side of those dividing doors was big big trouble. Miss Furtado had her office behind them, in the boys part. She always wore a black gown that was so tatty think she'd had it since graduation and she was ready to retire. I had to run the gauntlet of the Flower Estate children as I walked up Bellhouse Road from Firth Park. Grammar School set you apart, the green beret was definitely off by then. 

Nah,, in those days, it was always whispers in the playground or, out of school meets to dish the trash. ......   Furtado.. That rings a bell. Could have been that cow who chastised me for entering the forbidden sanctuary? Got a letter from an ex HS student ( now lives in Oz ) who told me that they had brought down the High Storrs berlin wall a few years later and established mixed classes? .........  Yip, you certainly took your life in your hands with the green and blues through the flower estate ( as did the red caps, I think  .. Frenchy and Simmons I understand ) .. Lucky me got to play Rugby after school a lot, so I sort of missed any timely outbreaks of the then, alternate species.  err, think it was only you and I that got accepted to go to HS?? 

Wow,, only another couple of posts here and I can personal message you! 😉  You're already over the 25 entry posts, so feel free..

Nah,, in those days, it was always whispers in the playground or, out of school meets to dish the trash. ......   Furtado.. That rings a bell. Could have been that cow who chastised me for entering the forbidden sanctuary? Got a letter from an ex HS student ( now lives in Oz ) who told me that they had brought down the High Storrs berlin wall a few years later and established mixed classes? .........  Yip, you certainly took your life in your hands with the green and blues through the flower estate ( as did the red caps, I think  .. Frenchy and Simmons I understand ) .. Lucky me got to play Rugby after school a lot, so I sort of missed any timely outbreaks of the then, alternate species.  err, think it was only you and I that got accepted to go to HS?? 

Wow,, only another couple of posts here and I can personal message you! 😉  You're already over the 25 entry posts, so feel free..

So sad we could have travelled together, 😉One other at HS Sue Brown. Abbeydale, Gennis, Gwenda😍 and Pat C, although she didn't settle and went to Hinde House. Michael Stutchfield went to Abbeydale Boys. Was there only those 2 who went to the Red caps. It was either sink or swim putting up with the agro. They said it was character building. 

9 minutes ago, Ponytail said:

WAS is the operative word.  Fell for Ice Hockey ( junior  level ), early on and mixed that with soccer.  50 years later,, paying for it and had a knee op just before the first lockdown.  I can visulise you playing rounders etc. of which you were VERY good at BUT as for statement " You've got another leg " etc..  I seem to remember THAT leg failing me in the mixed 3 legged race with me at Hatfield! 🤣

Just now, Ponytail said:

So sad we could have travelled together, 😉One other at HS Sue Brown. Abbeydale, Gennis, Gwenda😍 and Pat C, although she didn't settle and went to Hinde House. Michael Stutchfield went to Abbeydale Boys. Was there only those 2 who went to the Red caps. It was either sink or swim putting up with the agro. They said it was character building. 

The "Berlin Wall" came down the year after I left in the 5th form 1968 when the male and female of the species combined in the 6th form. 

2 minutes ago, Fairthornroader said:

WAS is the operative word.  Fell for Ice Hockey ( junior  level ), early on and mixed that with soccer.  50 years later,, paying for it and had a knee op just before the first lockdown.  I can visulise you playing rounders etc. of which you were VERY good at BUT as for statement " You've got another leg " etc..  I seem to remember THAT leg failing me in the mixed 3 legged race with me at Hatfield! 🤣

Anything on ice would be a no no for me, can't stand up on it. Will have to investigate this personal messaging. Have patience it may take me some time. Took a while to be "approved" to message on the site. 😕

2 minutes ago, Ponytail said:

Yeah, that IS strange, come to think of it. I knew at that time, there were plenty of buses to get there ( change in town ) but somehow, we managed to NOT travel together?? Spooky.. 🧑‍🤝‍🧑 .... I'll PM you on the other part of this message, as I may be confused with the content and have to run something past you.. Bear with.. I'm nearly at 25 posts..

7 minutes ago, Ponytail said:

The "Berlin Wall" came down the year after I left in the 5th form 1968 when the male and female of the species combined in the 6th form. 

And no doubt, the birth rate doubled in Sheffield, the following year? :rolleyes:

Yeah, that IS strange, come to think of it. I knew at that time, there were plenty of buses to get there ( change in town ) but somehow, we managed to NOT travel together?? Spooky.. 🧑‍🤝‍🧑 .... I'll PM you on the other part of this message, as I may be confused with the content and have to run something past you.. Bear with.. I'm nearly at 25 posts..

I tried to get a pass for the No 4 bus but technically I didn't Iive on the route. Only allowed if you lived from Primrose Avenue onwards

And no doubt, the birth rate doubled in Sheffield, the following year? :rolleyes:

No doubt 😂😂🤣

4 minutes ago, Ponytail said:

Anything on ice would be a no no for me, can't stand up on it. Will have to investigate this personal messaging. Have patience it may take me some time. Took a while to be "approved" to message on the site. 😕

Nah, you would have got the hang of it.. It was great fun to come back on those occasions and hang out at Silver Blades on Queen street.. 

PM's are accessible from the top of the page, right next to the Notifications ( bell ) .. 

Just now, Fairthornroader said:

Nah, you would have got the hang of it.. It was great fun to come back on those occasions and hang out at Silver Blades on Queen street.. 

PM's are accessible from the top of the page, right next to the Notifications ( bell ) .. 

Bear with me. 

3 minutes ago, Ponytail said:

I tried to get a pass for the No 4 bus but technically I didn't Iive on the route. Only allowed if you lived from Primrose Avenue onwards

Ahh, that explains it.. I DID get the #4 most times and stayed on but had no problems if I missed it and took the 75 instead, to town.. They never took any notice of my pass, even if I was late out due to the extramural activities in sports etc..