Hatfield House Lane Class J3 1962 Where are you?

Fairthornroader

Retirement brings on many extramural activities and having nearly completed my bucket list before the next bucket I see is the one I kick,

I thought it prudent to see who's left out of my old class and where and WHO they are now ( many of the girls will obviously have a change of name ).. See link below

http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?action=printdetails&keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;m00003

A few of our motley crew, I have sincerely missed since I left and I curiously would like to see how we all did after Smiley's J4 class and the ensuing 11+ dispersal.

Well Fairthornroader, long time no see, hope you're still enjoying retirement. Sorry I'm not Gwenda. Last time we met was when you were visiting from Canada aged about 14. You must have attended for a brief time the boys part of my Grammar School and broke strict ranks from the boys dinner queue, daring to come to speak to an extremely shy teenager. Looked for you again but saw you only the once, you charmer! Mr Clarke, our teacher spotted me in a crowded department store in the 70's, with a smile and speaking with a much softer tone. He'd replaced Mr. Garner and then Mr. Smillie (who used to slipper the boys) retired so Mr. Clarke joined us in J4. Remember learning 20 spellings a week and the threat of being caned if you got too many wrong? Miss Roberts, headteacher made sure she got her way when the class voted for Head girl/boy and prefects. Remember the outside toilets? Smelly in summer and frozen in winter. Sadly tall girl in the centre, Glenis White (a number of years ago) and standing in front of you, Pat Constantine (quite recently) are no longer with us. Paul standing behind me in the photo, I believe has lived in South Africa for a number of years. Some of us in PE kit were also having photos taken of our very successful girls rounders team and think it was the boys rounders team as well. The plays we performed were an opportunity for this Ponytail to overcome her shyness and pretend to be someone else. Tony in the striped jumper sitting crossed legged, was Baby Bear to my Mummy Bear in the reception class production. He lived not far from us and my dad always referred to him as Baby Bear right up to us leaving in the 70's. 

• Like 1

PLEASE, put me out of my misery. 🥺Ponytail?   ( Mary???  Really??  OMG! )  I'm already blushing at the thought. ☺️ Err, I broke ranks for a reason,,,,, If only you knew.. 😉 There again, I was looking at someone well above my standard,, and as usual,, backed down before I was knocked down.    " Charmer " ?  Yeah, right.. 😂   ( To be discussed ) 😄

Yes, I was at High Storrs Grammar for a while. Before and after which, I didn't know if I was coming or going. They say,, when you have crossed the Atlantic 6 times, you own a part of it. I did 8 times and still have no awarded, deed of assignment to any bit that I know of? However,, Still have my BOAC Junior Jet Club badge + flight log ( for the 4 times I did the trip by air ). 🤣

Soooooo, sad to hear about Pat and Glenis. I know in the scheme of things, it happens,, but that is still and a saddening shock, to me........   😲

I digress... Yip, the memory's you portray, remain vivid in my head ( and my nose,, now you mention those loo's,,, especially with Mrs Martin's objectivity of rationing toilet paper ) 😁

As for Paul and Haighy,, would not be surprised if BOTH were in S.Africa . After all, there WERE joined at the hip, throughout, so to speak??  😉

Never got slippered OR caned. Probably one of Smiley's teacher pets? Especially having been selected for his choir singing competition bash at the town hall? 😂 ..  Anyway, was always top of the class for spelling throughout J2,3 and 4. How could you forget? 😉 ... So, just in case you think my memory of YOU has slipped,, let's now recall just WHO got the captaincy of LINCOLN ( Green ) and WHO wore a Prefects badge?

As for Gwenda.. WELL, I STILL have a pressie for her ( bought in Kingston, Ontario ) and obviously, have still not been able to hand it over. I DID try, but by the time I got back to UK, she and the family had moved on and the trail led to nowhere. I was hoping that this forum ( only discovered a few years back ) would have assisted, but that's life eh?  Don't be sorry for that. I'm over the moon that you made yourself known and look forward to the next time. ..

Still Covid free and as for retirement?? It's a con! First day of freedom and the phone rings.....   "err, as you have now retired and have this free time now, do you think you would be able to " etc etc.. 

This is crazy, always said I wouldn't do this social media thing, but my son insisted I had a mobile phone. Was looking up something totally different on the Internet and somehow found your post. Just couldn't resist it. Did you go to Canada straight after Junior School? I was totally amazed that day you came over to speak. You don't know how shy I was. Saw Paul not long after that at Firth Park Terminus but I was too shy to speak. How pathetic I was. Who was Captain of York and had to go on stage to collect the Good Sportsmanship Shield on a regular basis, red with embarrassment. Made deputy head girl with a prefects badge and a little chain attached to show my status. Haha. Pat should have been Head Girl. Do you remember Pat's family? Small world that it is, Peter the eldest is a friend of my sons in laws. It was him who told me about Pat. Afraid when you go to a different school you loose touch with people. It's lovely to be in touch. Have you news of anyone else. 

34 minutes ago, Fairthornroader said:

PLEASE, put me out of my misery. 🥺Ponytail?   ( Mary???  Really??  OMG! )  I'm already blushing at the thought. ☺️ Err, I broke ranks for a reason,,,,, If only you knew.. 😉 There again, I was looking at someone well above my standard,, and as usual,, backed down before I was knocked down.    " Charmer " ?  Yeah, right.. 😂   ( To be discussed ) 😄

Yes, I was at High Storrs Grammar for a while. Before and after which, I didn't know if I was coming or going. They say,, when you have crossed the Atlantic 6 times, you own a part of it. I did 8 times and still have no awarded, deed of assignment to any bit that I know of? However,, Still have my BOAC Junior Jet Club badge + flight log ( for the 4 times I did the trip by air ). 🤣

Soooooo, sad to hear about Pat and Glenis. I know in the scheme of things, it happens,, but that is still and a saddening shock, to me........   😲

I digress... Yip, the memory's you portray, remain vivid in my head ( and my nose,, now you mention those loo's,,, especially with Mrs Martin's objectivity of rationing toilet paper ) 😁

As for Paul and Haighy,, would not be surprised if BOTH were in S.Africa . After all, there WERE joined at the hip, throughout, so to speak??  😉

Never got slippered OR caned. Probably one of Smiley's teacher pets? Especially having been selected for his choir singing competition bash at the town hall? 😂 ..  Anyway, was always top of the class for spelling throughout J2,3 and 4. How could you forget? 😉 ... So, just in case you think my memory of YOU has slipped,, let's now recall just WHO got the captaincy of LINCOLN ( Green ) and WHO wore a Prefects badge?

As for Gwenda.. WELL, I STILL have a pressie for her ( bought in Kingston, Ontario ) and obviously, have still not been able to hand it over. I DID try, but by the time I got back to UK, she and the family had moved on and the trail led to nowhere. I was hoping that this forum ( only discovered a few years back ) would have assisted, but that's life eh?  Don't be sorry for that. I'm over the moon that you made yourself known and look forward to the next time. ..

Still Covid free and as for retirement?? It's a con! First day of freedom and the phone rings.....   "err, as you have now retired and have this free time now, do you think you would be able to " etc etc.. 

So many questions to ask, wow can't get over you replied. Saw the date of the original post, thought it would probably too late. Remember how Iodine was put on any cuts and grazes, boy did that sting. Stay in touch. 😘

6 hours ago, Fairthornroader said:

Going to test you now, what did we sing at the City Hall? Could you still remember the words?  We didn't win but think we did our selves proud. X

9 hours ago, Ponytail said:

This is crazy, always said I wouldn't do this social media thing, but my son insisted I had a mobile phone. Was looking up something totally different on the Internet and somehow found your post. Just couldn't resist it. Did you go to Canada straight after Junior School? I was totally amazed that day you came over to speak. You don't know how shy I was. Saw Paul not long after that at Firth Park Terminus but I was too shy to speak. How pathetic I was. Who was Captain of York and had to go on stage to collect the Good Sportsmanship Shield on a regular basis, red with embarrassment. Made deputy head girl with a prefects badge and a little chain attached to show my status. Haha. Pat should have been Head Girl. Do you remember Pat's family? Small world that it is, Peter the eldest is a friend of my sons in laws. It was him who told me about Pat. Afraid when you go to a different school you loose touch with people. It's lovely to be in touch. Have you news of anyone else. 

Good or bad, we can't get away from social media these days and despite it throwing up the occasional scammers, trolls and other undesirables, I'm happy to utilise it for assignments such as these.

Thanks to your son, who has made this possible, you get to check out what you missed in days gone by and THAT'S not a bad thing albeit, some sadness and as much happiness discovered along the trail. Anyway, to answer some of your ??'s ( some will have to wait until I get to 20 odd postings in this venue, as that is the only time you can personal message someone you follow, so, bear with. 🤞 ).. First trip to Canada was between J4 and High Storrs. Intention was, to go visit eldest brother and his wife who had emigrated to there in 59. That was just me and my mother. A trip that eventually, broke up our family. High storrs, as you know, was my returning school shortly after that, ( I will PM you about the circumstances later, if we last that long? 🤣 ) and then it was 8th grade in a Canadian school in Montreal, followed by boarding school terms in the UK and returns to Canada during the vacations. Apart from one time, when I went to stay with Chris Organ's family who by then, had moved to south Wales.... Yes, found him through social media in last couple of years. More on that later. ......................   Glenis was head girl and captain of the yellow ( York ) bunch but,, if anybody had the red faced embarrassment, it was you. You shouldn't have been sooo good at sports eh? 😉 ...  Yes, Pat was a strong character and let's just say, she grew up very quickly from my recollection?  Lovely girl and always had time for her,, Like a big sister that I never had.

4 hours ago, Ponytail said:

Going to test you now, what did we sing at the City Hall? Could you still remember the words?  We didn't win but think we did our selves proud. X

Err, if you asked me last year, it flooded back .. Now, I can only recall that the obvious winners of that comp on the day, where the choir that brought in harmonisation and duplicated response singing in the RIPE CHERRIES song?  In class with Smiley and leading up to the eventual monotoned presentation we put on, was several renditions of camptown races and due to his heritage, the skye boat song.  Why DID they put us through that??  🤣

2 minutes ago, Fairthornroader said:

Good or bad, we can't get away from social media these days and despite it throwing up the occasional scammers, trolls and other undesirables, I'm happy to utilise it for assignments such as these.

Thanks to your son, who has made this possible, you get to check out what you missed in days gone by and THAT'S not a bad thing albeit, some sadness and as much happiness discovered along the trail. Anyway, to answer some of your ??'s ( some will have to wait until I get to 20 odd postings in this venue, as that is the only time you can personal message someone you follow, so, bear with. 🤞 ).. First trip to Canada was between J4 and High Storrs. Intention was, to go visit eldest brother and his wife who had emigrated to there in 59. That was just me and my mother. A trip that eventually, broke up our family. High storrs, as you know, was my returning school shortly after that, ( I will PM you about the circumstances later, if we last that long? 🤣 ) and then it was 8th grade in a Canadian school in Montreal, followed by boarding school terms in the UK and returns to Canada during the vacations. Apart from one time, when I went to stay with Chris Organ's family who by then, had moved to south Wales.... Yes, found him through social media in last couple of years. More on that later. ......................   Glenis was head girl and captain of the yellow ( York ) bunch but,, if anybody had the red faced embarrassment, it was you. You shouldn't have been sooo good at sports eh? 😉 ...  Yes, Pat was a strong character and let's just say, she grew up very quickly from my recollection?  Lovely girl and always had time for her,, Like a big sister that I never had.

I'm afraid you're wrong it was me who was York House captain, still have the badge. 😂🤣 Got me thinking, Glennis was I think, Canterbury blue the clever ones who used to get Good Work shield. Now this is where my memory fails me. Winchester, red must have been a boy. Was Peter Simmons head boy, who was deputy? Lincoln, green wmust have been another boy. We're you a prefect as well must get my thinking cap on. I'm enjoying this. 😉X

3 minutes ago, Fairthornroader said:

Err, if you asked me last year, it flooded back .. Now, I can only recall that the obvious winners of that comp on the day, where the choir that brought in harmonisation and duplicated response singing in the RIPE CHERRIES song?  In class with Smiley and leading up to the eventual monotoned presentation we put on, was several renditions of camptown races and due to his heritage, the skye boat song.  Why DID they put us through that??  🤣

You're memory of the winner is better than mine. 🥇Clue to our song It was a Scottish Lullaby, typical. Can still remember the words as well. How sad am I. 😂🤣

9 hours ago, Ponytail said:

So many questions to ask, wow can't get over you replied. Saw the date of the original post, thought it would probably too late. Remember how Iodine was put on any cuts and grazes, boy did that sting. Stay in touch. 😘

Same here.. but keep the more personal reflections of our childhood attributes to the personal messaging system herein , as and when we get 20 odd posts to qualify for that privilege.. 

It was only by virtue that I pre selected notifications to responses, in the settings area, that I got your message, so,, fait accompli 😁  .... Nah, never had the iodine treatment. YOU were the one that attracted injury via your excessive sports enthusiasm.  Lucky me eh?  Ouch! 😇

Same here.. but keep the more personal reflections of our childhood attributes to the personal messaging system herein , as and when we get 20 odd posts to qualify for that privilege.. 

It was only by virtue that I pre selected notifications to responses, in the settings area, that I got your message, so,, fait accompli 😁  .... Nah, never had the iodine treatment. YOU were the one that attracted injury via your excessive sports enthusiasm.  Lucky me eh?  Ouch! 😇

Where iodine was concerned it was once and never again. Suffered in silence. Do you remember the pink carbolic soap! Oooh dear. Child memories usually involve smells never to be forgotten. Warm/ sour milk in summer and frozen like a lolly in winter. 

10 minutes ago, Ponytail said:

I'm afraid you're wrong it was me who was York House captain, still have the badge. 😂🤣 Got me thinking, Glennis was I think, Canterbury blue the clever ones who used to get Good Work shield. Now this is where my memory fails me. Winchester, red must have been a boy. Was Peter Simmons head boy, who was deputy? Lincoln, green wmust have been another boy. We're you a prefect as well must get my thinking cap on. I'm enjoying this. 😉X

I usually am wrong and again, I apologise for the crossed colours event.  err, Winchester?? You're spot on,, that WAS Peter. ( I think you may find that he also responded to me last year in this venue ).. Something keeps nagging at me that maybe Pat Kenny held colour or,, ahhh,  possibly Margaret?  Err, now I've even got Stephen French in my brain for it? Surely, NOT possible!! Nah,, forget that,, I'm having a moment. 😂🤣  For sure, I never held any rank of office throughout. Already said, I was punching out of my weight class in regards to you. 😊

10 minutes ago, Fairthornroader said:

I usually am wrong and again, I apologise for the crossed colours event.  err, Winchester?? You're spot on,, that WAS Peter. ( I think you may find that he also responded to me last year in this venue ).. Something keeps nagging at me that maybe Pat Kenny held colour or,, ahhh,  possibly Margaret?  Err, now I've even got Stephen French in my brain for it? Surely, NOT possible!! Nah,, forget that,, I'm having a moment. 😂🤣  For sure, I never held any rank of office throughout. Already said, I was punching out of my weight class in regards to you. 😊

You are joking, 😉😂 Ones I can remember who were Prefects: Glennis head girl, yours truly, deputy, Pat head prefect, Pat Kenny, the lovely Gwenda, then I struggle, possibly Pauline Meek, Linda Hodgson. Boys: Peter head boy, , Alan Bamford definitely, Paul, Stephen French, Michael Stutchfield? They missed out not having you 😂

2 minutes ago, Ponytail said:

Where iodine was concerned it was once and never again. Suffered in silence. Do you remember the pink carbolic soap! Oooh dear. Child memories usually involve smells never to be forgotten. Warm/ sour milk in summer and frozen like a lolly in winter. 

Ohh yesss.. Carbolic.. Total passion killer and not enhanced by the fact that it was applied with the cold water element.  I never want to smell that stuff ever again. 🤣.. Mrs Martin's red poppy playground perfume, school dinners that were supplemented by either sago ( frog spawn ) OR similar in the form of semolina with a woj of jam in the middle AND even that dried out Parkin pie with the horrendous white sauce over it.. 🤢 HOW did we survive???? Thank goodness there was the chippy at the top of Bellhouse road for sanctity, when you could not face any more! 😁    Best time of day??  Penny wafers and 1/3rd pint of milk. Luxury! 😂   

Ohh yesss.. Carbolic.. Total passion killer and not enhanced by the fact that it was applied with the cold water element.  I never want to smell that stuff ever again. 🤣.. Mrs Martin's red poppy playground perfume, school dinners that were supplemented by either sago ( frog spawn ) OR similar in the form of semolina with a woj of jam in the middle AND even that dried out Parkin pie with the horrendous white sauce over it.. 🤢 HOW did we survive???? Thank goodness there was the chippy at the top of Bellhouse road for sanctity, when you could not face any more! 😁    Best time of day??  Penny wafers and 1/3rd pint of milk. Luxury! 😂   

My mother would never believe me when I told her they put gravy on the salad along with salad cream. 🥴

41 minutes ago, Ponytail said:

You're memory of the winner is better than mine. 🥇Clue to our song It was a Scottish Lullaby, typical. Can still remember the words as well. How sad am I. 😂🤣

That's why I proposed the Skye boat song but nah, it's lost in the grey matter for now.. Go, put me out of my misery again, but PLEASE don't sing it.. 😉

2 minutes ago, Ponytail said:

My mother would never believe me when I told her they put gravy on the salad along with salad cream. 🥴

I think they just hated us in that canteen eh?  Child abuse in the 50's n 60's via food.. Even the plastic beakers were suspect! 🤢

That's why I proposed the Skye boat song but nah, it's lost in the grey matter for now.. Go, put me out of my misery again, but PLEASE don't sing it.. 😉

Dream Angus. The chorus: Dreams to sell, fine dreams to sell, Angus is here with dreams to sell. Hush you my baby and sleep without fear, Dream Angus has brought you a dream my dear. 😴Have you nodded off yet. 😂

4 minutes ago, Fairthornroader said:

I think they just hated us in that canteen eh?  Child abuse in the 50's n 60's via food.. Even the plastic beakers were suspect! 🤢

We certainly weren't molly codled. Don't forget the custard with the thick skin. It's no wonder we were so skinny, half starved. 😂

17 minutes ago, Ponytail said:

You are joking, 😉😂 Ones I can remember who were Prefects: Glennis head girl, yours truly, deputy, Pat head prefect, Pat Kenny, the lovely Gwenda, then I struggle, possibly Pauline Meek, Linda Hodgson. Boys: Peter head boy, , Alan Bamford definitely, Paul, Stephen French, Michael Stutchfield? They missed out not having you 😂

You're making me blush again.. Nah, always the quiet one. 😉  Not sure about a couple you spoke of and deffo not Mick Stutchfield. Caught up with him on one of my rare visits back to Firth park. Around the time when there was a strike at Hendersons and everybody was fighting to get the last bottles of the dark brown nectar. He turned up out of the blue, running the corner convenience shop on Bellhouse road  / North quadrant..  Can't get the nectar here, so ever since, I order it directly.. Not that I drink a lot but if there was ever a way to get Stone's DRAUGHT bitter locally, ( not those cans they tried to pass of as authentic ), I could be converted back. 😁 

8 minutes ago, Ponytail said:

Dream Angus. The chorus: Dreams to sell, fine dreams to sell, Angus is here with dreams to sell. Hush you my baby and sleep without fear, Dream Angus has brought you a dream my dear. 😴Have you nodded off yet. 😂

Nah, but another verse or two and I might have resorted to self harming! 😂🤣

4 minutes ago, Ponytail said:

We certainly weren't molly codled. Don't forget the custard with the thick skin. It's no wonder we were so skinny, half starved. 😂

Oh, I see.. Does that mean that the likes of Frenchy, went HOME for dinner?? He DID live on Hatfield, as I remember and THAT would explain a lot?  ( that was soooo mean ) 😉😇 but yes, the custard too, could have been patented and sold to stick soles on shoes..  That said,, look on the bright side.. It kept you a great figure! 😘

Just now, Fairthornroader said:

Nah, but another verse or two and I might have resorted to self harming! 😂🤣

When we were rehearsing it, Mr. Smillie was recording it on a reel to reel tape recorder, remember them? All stood doing our best and right at the end as it all went quiet, just before he stopped recording, the girl standing next to me, who shall be nameless, pushed me and I fell on to the hinged seat with a clatter. So when he played it back, there was the noise of me falling over. 😂He wasn't pleased especially when you all laughed. 

Oh, I see.. Does that mean that the likes of Frenchy, went HOME for dinner?? He DID live on Hatfield, as I remember and THAT would explain a lot?  ( that was soooo mean ) 😉😇 but yes, the custard too, could have been patented and sold to stick soles on shoes..  That said,, look on the bright side.. It kept you a great figure! 😘

If you look at our class photograph most of us are skinny. Were we half starved or was it the near sugar free diet? There again it wasn't warm in school so we probably burnt off any excess trying to keep warm. 😂