Good Old Jumble Sales

Heartshome

I remember the first ones Mum took me to from about the age of 7 in the early 1960s. They were held at the old Stradbroke School, I'm not sure who organised them, as I know the OAP club and others used the School, but my Gran lived on Spinkhill Rd at the time, and on visiting every other weekend, she would tell us when there was one on, and I had many a nice item of clothing from them. - Once went to one at Channing Hall, thaught it was a bit of a strange place to have one in the centre of town, but it was quite busy. - Went to another somewhere just off Sharrow Vale Rd/Hunters Bar end, I can't remember if it was at a Hall or School, but I got a lovely Deep Red Velvet Dress there for a play I was in for a few pence. - Jumble Sales have been with us for a long time, they have raised much needed cash for so many good causes, and it's nice to see they are still going strong, long may they continue.

I was first introduced to the world of Jumble sales back in the 1950/60's at Shiregreen Congs. We had piles of what I always considered to be old rubbish ( pink ladies flannelette underwear and corsettes predominated) We made a few £s and then waited for the rag man to take the remains away. Once asked what the "richer" churches could do to help the "poorer" ones I suggested letting them have some of their jumble. I haven't heard of jumble sales for years although "Bring and Buy" seems to have found a niche.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, lysander said:

I was first introduced to the world of Jumble sales back in the 1950/60's at Shiregreen Congs. We had piles of what I always considered to be old rubbish ( pink ladies flannelette underwear and corsettes predominated) We made a few £s and then waited for the rag man to take the remains away. Once asked what the "richer" churches could do to help the "poorer" ones I suggested letting them have some of their jumble. I haven't heard of jumble sales for years although "Bring and Buy" seems to have found a niche.

Hi lysander, Iv'e been looking on Jumble / Tabletop event listings for what's going on around and about, and there seems to be a Jumble on somewhere regularly, might be worth checking it out to see if there's one near you. There's nothing like a good old rummage, you never know what your'e going to find !

Can't beat a good old Jumble Sale as a kid!!

Especially if there were loads of stalls to have a nosey round

On 03/05/2018 at 18:07, Sheffield History said:

Can't beat a good old Jumble Sale as a kid!!

Especially if there were loads of stalls to have a nosey round

To Right ! you could make 6 pence go a long way and come out with a bag full of stuff !!

I used to love jumble sales too. I remember giving stuff to my children's school for the jumble sale and the teachers use to pick over it first but the did ask me if I minded and that they would put a donation in the box.

After that we would take our kids to the jumble sale on the given date and when  my two girls saw some of their toys they always wanted to buy them back again  after donating them.  

I used to love jumble sales too. I remember giving stuff to my children's school for the jumble sale and the teachers use to pick over it first but the did ask me if I minded and that they would put a donation in the box.

After that we would take our kids to the jumble sale on the given date and when  my two girls saw some of their toys they always wanted to buy them back again  after donating them.  

Yea, 'been there' with my daughter, used to tell her she she had to make room for 'New Toys' on her Birthday, it seemed to work. I still love to go to Jumble Sales, there is always something you can find. Ended up from one with new boots £1, new shoes £1, and a thick winter red jacket for 50p. Cant go wrong at that !