The Wicker Tilt Building in Sheffield City Centre

Sheffield History

Wicker Tilt Building.jpg

Fascinating building this. The Wicker Tilt Building

Anyone have any information on what it was and what it was built for?

• Like 1

I'd guess from the name and the way the river looks like there's a mill channel going in that it was a water-powered tilt hammer, for beating out metal

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sheffield History said:

Fascinating building this. The Wicker Tilt Building

Anyone have any information on what it was and what it was built for?

I presume it was originally built as a tilt forge (forge using tilt hammers). Another picture below from Picture Sheffield (what a great site), showing a bit more of the Tower Grinding Wheel, one of my favourite striking buildings. Sheffield was much more interesting when it was a real working city.

QUOTE FROM PICTURE SHEFFIELD " River Don from Lady's Bridge, No 2, Wicker, Wicker Tilt also known as Huntsman's Forge, occupied by Benjamin Huntsman, Tilter, and Wards, Blonk and Co., foreground, left. Blonk Street Bridge in near distance, Tower Grinding Wheel in background."

EDIT Sorry to repeat  auntiechaos   you beat me to it.

tower.jpg

It was a water wheel driven tilt forge belonging to the Blonk family. I've  been dealing with this recently under the heading "Lady's Bridge and its buildings". "The Wicker Tilt" was a water wheel driven tilt forge belonging to the Blonk family. They also had "The Wicker Wheel" as their grinding shop. Their company name was "Silcock Blonk". These two factories gave the name "Blonk Street" to the new street and bridge when they were constructed.. 

On the Blonk Bridge you will see carved in the stone "BB and JH" BB is for Benjamin Blonk and JH for John Huntsman who had part of the building later on. If you look through the glass in the current building there at the Blonk Bridge end you will see the chimney of the Huntsman furnace preserved as a monument. The last of the Sheffield Blonk family Emma Blonk proved herself to be heiress to the Blonk properties and moved to Ecclesall.

16 hours ago, Old rider said:

It was a water wheel driven tilt forge belonging to the Blonk family. I've  been dealing with this recently under the heading "Lady's Bridge and its buildings". "The Wicker Tilt" was a water wheel driven tilt forge belonging to the Blonk family. They also had "The Wicker Wheel" as their grinding shop. Their company name was "Silcock Blonk". These two factories gave the name "Blonk Street" to the new street and bridge when they were constructed.. 

On the Blonk Bridge you will see carved in the stone "BB and JH" BB is for Benjamin Blonk and JH for John Huntsman who had part of the building later on. If you look through the glass in the current building there at the Blonk Bridge end you will see the chimney of the Huntsman furnace preserved as a monument. The last of the Sheffield Blonk family Emma Blonk proved herself to be heiress to the Blonk properties and moved to Ecclesall.

Fantastic work thank you!