Old and New together on the Sheffield Canal

Sheffield History

Sheffield Canal.jpg

Couple of old buildings down on the Sheffield Canal next to the new. I know the white building was a car showroom type place for years but what was the second building on?

Is it behind what was once the Hole In The Wall pub?

Car showroom would be that of Bentley Bros. Next door would possibly be John Holding ( 1955)Ltd or Hobson Houghton or a timber merchant whose name eludes me and the multi storey would be the grossly underused speculative build office block after it had been refurbished and re-clad. 

Are you sure that is the canal? I think this is the river Don. The tall white building being Savile House on Savile Street.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Peter Walker said:

Are you sure that is the canal? I think this is the river Don. The tall white building being Savile House on Savile Street.

Yes it's the River Don, the derelict building must be the back of Mathews timber yard, The Hole in The Wall pub finished up being in that dogs leg in front of part of Saville House I think.

EDIT Picture added from Picture Sheffield, apparently the derelict building was called Don Saw Mill .

http://picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;c01196&pos=162&action=zoom&id=1702

Don_Saw_Mill.jpg

I photographed this odd couple from Savile Street in 2010, largely because of the way the cladding on Savile House was incomplete because of the derelict building next door. A bit of research when back at home gaveme the answer that the derelict building was the remains of the Don Sawmills and was a listed building, this probably explaining why it remained in place (and falling into ever worse decrepitude) rather than having been demolished.

Don Sawmills listing entry

1003_somewhere-X3.jpg

17 hours ago, Peter Walker said:

You're right - my mistake entirely it is indeed the River Don!

Lost my mind for a moment there when posting ha ha