The Royal Victoria Hotel in Sheffield

Sheffield History

I’m sure the Hole In The Wall got its name from an opening in an internal wall to the brewery that stood next door, Sadly the brewery suffered the ignominious fate of brewing vinegar, a sad end to a brewery.

Only went in there once, for a charity event, possibly Children in Need or something. I guess it was early '90's, it looked very run down and closed not long after.

Nigel L

2 hours ago, madannie77 said:

Wicker Brewery Hotel:

That's it madannie77,  My old workmate called it the Brewery, he'd say shall we stop off for a pint at the Brewery on our way home toneet, didn't know it was also called the Hole in the Wall, you live and learn!!

Checked out the address in the 1971 Kelly's, it's down as the Wicker Brewery Hotel.

Just to enlarge on the pub name "Hole in The Wall" or, as was spoken locally "Ole in't wall" - this name has been used for longer than I remember despite the Wicker Brewery name.

I worked at the Wicker Goods Station across the road and it was known then (1955 onwards) in the depot as "Ole in't wall.

My grandad also worked at Wicker Goods for many years until around 1950 and I have always known that, my grandma always used to meet him in the "Ole in't wall" on payday dinnertime,

whereby he would hand over his wages to grandma. They, my workmates, and I, never called that pub by any other name but the "ole in't wall although we knew it was a Wicker Brewery pub.

I have never known how the pub originally came to be known by the "Ole in't wall" name but that is still how most people knew it which is slightly strange.

I was good friends with the landlord and landlady (Roy and Paula Johnson) in the late 70's and early 80's and spent a lot of time in there until they moved to the Silver Fox.

I Wish now that I had asked them about the name but, to me, it was the "Ole in't wall" and always had been so the thought never occurred.

The Wicker Brewery Hotel was granted its first spirits licence in 1867. The Independent reported:

Valentine Radford, Wicker Brewery Hotel, Saville street.....Mr. Arnold Parker, for the applicant, said the house was opposite the goods station of the Midland Railway, and was a great convenience to porters and others employed there.  From Saville street to the middle of the Wicker there was not a licensed house on the same side - nearly half a mile.  Spirits were often wanted in cases of accident. - Granted.

I remember walking up the long slope to Victoria station mid 60's with a friend, called in the cafe for breakfast, before catching a steam train to Manchester, the route the train went was the line that ran along the reservoirs, what a really beautiful train ride, not forgotten 54/5 year ago.