The bomb that hit The Wicker Arches

Sheffield History

Wicker Arches Bomb.jpg

The Wicker Arches Bomb.jpg

THE BOMB THAT HIT THE WICKER ARCHES IN SHEFFIELD
Went down to The Wicker Arches this week to take a look at the underneath of the bridge to see where the second world war bomb went straight through it. It's very clear to see in these photos and I'd recommend the walk down for anyone who's not seen it before.

Did the bomb not explode at all then?

My grandfather was driving a train made up of mainly petrol tankers from the Merseyside area on the night of the first Blitz. To secure the train they were stopped, in rather terrible conditions of  dense smoke, high humidity and thick mud at the side of the track in the single bore Woodhead tunnel(s). until the all clear was given and the track made safe . I have heard stories that it was this train that the Luftwaffe were after stopping...but was their bomb aiming techniques using a radio beam that accurate I wonder?

• Like 1

my mum used to work at the Wicker  cinema in the 1950 to 1960 time. She used to come  home with sweets that people had dropped when they  were watching the film.  Times were hard back then. I can remember us taking milkbottles back to get a  penny return on them. Talk of the same happening again to get rid of plastic rubbish! Also when mum had peeled potatoes for tea any that had eyes on them were planted in the garden again for more potatoes.We had swimmers for tea that were just a dumpling made out of flour and water and then dropped in boiling water.Sometimes we had a bit of margerine on them and even a  dob of jam if we were lucky.And chips were even more luxury if you got scratchings with them.I came back to Sheffield for my 73rd birthday with my youngest son and stayed at the Travel Lodge which was right next to Pipworth road school, my old school. Yes it had  changed a lot but I still recognised lots of it.My cousin  used to live at 34 Archdale Road, but they are just in the throes  of knocking it down and rebuilding  it.Dont know where he moved to, but his name is Jimmy France if anyone knows of him.