Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Sheffield History

St Nicholas Church

Recommended Posts

Sheffield History

ST NICHOLAS CHURCH - BRADFIELD

Bradfield

Bradfield really consists of two villages; High Bradfield and Low Bradfield. Both are dominated by St. Nicholas Parish Church, which dates from 1487, and can be seen from many parts of the Parish, standing 860ft above sea level. Inside are many interesting features such as the Saxon Cross, found at Low Brad field in 1870 and subsequently placed in the church in 1886. The Norman Font is said to have been given by the Cistercian monks of Roche Abbey.

At the gate of the church stands the Watch House, a multiangular building. It was built in 1745 to prevent Body Snatching. As it is the only surviving Watch House in Yorkshire, it is of historical interest.

Beyond the church yard, behind the church is Bailey Hill. No one seems to know its true origin or purpose. It may have been a look-out post or a Chieftains home, but one thing is certain, it was used by Saxons and Normals.

Built around the 12th century, when visiting priests would stay overnight in the sunken vestry, This church was originally a chapelry in the parish of St Mary the Virgin, Ecclesfield until 1868 when it became a parish in its own right. Baptisms marriages and burials date from 1559.

The word Feoffee first appears in 1552. Quite simply a group of persons of known integrity, entrusted with looking after public land and property- The books and documents for the Feoffees were kept in a large wooden, chest made in 1615. This same chest is still in St. Nicholas Church at Bradfield.

PICTURES

pictures taken Feb 15th 2007

LINKS

Guide To Bradfield - http://sandersonbradfieldandbeyond.co.uk/abrief.htm

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sheffield History

SHEFFIELD FLOOD VICTIMS

In High Bradfield Churchyard is the grave of William Horsfield (see map above): this was the man who first discovered the crack in the embankment.

His headstone indicates that he died on January 1st (not a very happy new year!) 1881 aged 65, so he would have been 48 years old at the time of the flood.

The 'Crapper' family grave headstone carries no details of the flood, but indicates that Joseph Crapper (aged 40), his wife Elizabeth Crapper (aged 44), and their son Joseph Crapper (aged 14) all died on March 12th 1864.

Info Source - http://mick-armitage.staff.shef.ac.uk/sheffield/maps.html

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sheffield History

The history of the parish of Bradfield goes back many centuries; the church of St. Nicholas, High Bradfield is believed to stand on the site of an Anglo-Saxon place of worship. The hamlet of Ughill has connections with William the Conqueror and yeoman farmers from Normandy settled in that area. Parts of the parish also appear in the Domesday Book. Several buildings are still standing which were connected to King John and the Knights Hospittallers of Jerusalem and are marked accordingly. Robin Hood or Robin of Loxley is another character associated with the Parish.

Info Source - http://www.bradfieldparish.org.uk/history.htm

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...