Toft Wood Allotment Society

Marg

Does anyone recall the Toft Wood Allotment Society?

My Grandfather had an allotment at the bottom of the Bole Hills at Walkley which backed onto Tinker Lane.

I remember playing in the greenhouse and was fascinated by the water butt  - amazing what amuses a child!!

In the sixties Sheffield Corporation decided to build some flats on the allotment area so Granddads allotment was no more - a great sadness to him as he'd just retired.

I do remember a large green hut down Two Troughs, which was the extension of Bole Hill Road past Bentley Road towards Clough Fields.

The hut was the headquarters of the Toft Wood Society and they held a Chrysanthemum Show there every year.

The remains of it can still be seen if you look carefully but is mostly collapsed.

I can still remember that smell of Chrysanthemums and the hushed tones of peoples voices.

I know we had to be very careful not to knock anything over!!

Have I imagined the name of this Society, did it have another name? 

I think the name was "Toft Wood Gardeners Allotments Society"

From the Sheffield Daily Telegraph 8th August 1927:

Toft_Wood_Gardeners_Allotments_Society_Sheffield_Daily_Telegraph_08_August_1927_0007_Clip.jpg

An even more appropriate clip, from Sheffield Independent 20th September 1926:

Toft_Wood_Gardeners_Allotments_Society_Sheffield_Independent_20_September_1926_0006_Clip.jpg.8ac440dbdce0879ad408a2545b425407.jpg

Looks like it may have been the Toft Wood Allotment Society.

Preliminary Plan of the Walkley Land Society's Estate. 1877.

https://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;arc06723&pos=6&action=zoom&id=105843

Shows Matlock Road, Walkley Road, Tinker Lane and Walkley Cemetery.

Plan of the Upper Walkley Freehold Land Society's Estate. 1878.

https://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;arc06724&pos=7&action=zoom&id=105844

Shows Bentley Road, Matlock Road, Walkley Road, Tinker Lane, Nicholls Road, Warren Road, Walkley Cemetery and Catholic Cemetery.

Were the Allotments originally anything to do with the Walkley Land Society? ... These were plots for building on but they don't appear to have been built on by 1902 map. 

1902 OS Map. 294.6.

IMG_20240117_174142.thumb.jpg.ebcc2f1bf670f55abc795ac09568500d.jpg

The ruins of the old allotments are all still visible in this area.