The Raincoat Shop

Blackmacjay

I was educated at Sheffield City Grammar School and on my way to get the tram outside the Cutlers Hall, I used to pass a rainwear store.

It was a store called, I believe, The Raincoat Shop.

Does anyone remember that?

I do. My mum bought me a bottle green mac from there when I was 11 and about to go to the City Grammar. It was about 3 sizes too big and long. Made me look fat. She obviously thought I would grow into it. I never saw anyone else in one like it. How I got away with it at school with Miss Coles beady eye, I don't know.

Isn't it amazing the things we remember. I was in that school in the early fifties but still I recall that shop!

I was bought several " Mackintosh gabardines" in the 1940/50's from the Macshop...at a time when long wearing and uniformity of dress was such a feature of life.

For reasons I do not understand, ladies have a fetish for wet knees hence their desire for short rainwear.

lol

On 03/04/2018 at 23:11, Blackmacjay said:

I was educated at Sheffield City Grammar School and on my way to get the tram outside the Cutlers Hall, I used to pass a rainwear store.

It was a store called, I believe, The Raincoat Shop.

Does anyone remember that?

Wonder if where you thinking of was on the High Street just below Dolcis shoe shop ." Henry Fields "  They sold rain wear and many other ladies outer clothing.                                  Sadly the lease on the building ran out in the 60s.  My father was manager there for over 20 years .