Harry Oliver, Butchers

RichardB

Guest Dandilion

Harry Oliver was my great-uncle. My father, Terry Oliver, owned this shop for a while too. He was also a butcher and had a branch on Attercliffe Rd opposite Banners.

It's great to see this picture.

lol

Guest mega_monty

Harry Oliver was my great-uncle. My father, Terry Oliver, owned this shop for a while too. He was also a butcher and had a branch on Attercliffe Rd opposite Banners.

lol

Were they related to Ernest and Herbert Oliver who owned and lived in nearby Bramley Hall at Handsworth and who also built the Bramley estate in Handsworth ?

lol

Happy to have posted it !

lol

We had a shop just down from the Attercliffe baths/Newhall Road junction called The Little Wonder and the next shop down was a butchers called Olivers. The previous owner of The Little Wonder was a little Jewish woman called Mrs Curzon. It was virtually opposite where the Don Valley Stadium is now. Was this any relation, or was this the shop you were thinking about? Behind the shops were what would today be called slums, one room downstairs and one room upstairs and a yard. This was only in 1968-72. A compulsory purchase order was issued & we had to leave. We had a cellar we shared with Olivers and it always stank of gas. The next shop up was a sweet shop. Opposite the row of shops were bus stops and on Wednesday home game matchdays there would be buses as far as the eye could see to take fans to the game.

Guest ginney

One of my uncles used to work as a butcher for the Olivers for many years. He always said they were a good family to work for.

During the war when there was rationing, they used to let him take my nan extra pieces of meat & sausage etc. So the family

never went without. I even remember their shop at handsworth when I was a youngster.

Guest NahThenLad

CAN ANYBODY PLZ HELP ON INFO ON WHAT WAS Called... OLIVERS FIELD IN HANDSWORTH,My Grandma Was Born There In Caravan 2 And I'm Researching.

Guest vinny7087

I am researching history on Olivers butchers for my dad. I think we may also be related (awaiting family tree). Im interested in any photo's. RichardB, the link isn't there for the photo. could you email me please?

I am researching history on Olivers butchers for my dad. I think we may also be related (awaiting family tree). Im interested in any photo's. RichardB, the link isn't there for the photo. could you email me please?

The link in RichardB's post (#01) works Ok for me,

here it is again ... www.picturesheffield.com - s16760