Old Sheffield newspapers

Thorntons girl

Hi there

does anyone know of a site where I can access old Sheffield newspapers please?

I am looking for an article that would have appeared in 1977

Thanks for your help.

You might want to try here:

https://www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk/search/results/1950-01-01/1999-12-31?retrievecountrycounts=false&newspapertitle=sheffield%20daily%20telegraph&sortorder=dayearly

However, i’ve never found it very user friendly and not had much success finding stuff. I also believe it’s now a pay-per-view resource?

If you can’t find what you need on the above site, I believe you will need the The Local Studies Library section, upstairs in the main library. Local newspapers are on microfilm. The  list of titles and publication dates available can be found at the link here:

https://www.sheffield.gov.uk/content/dam/sheffield/docs/libraries-and-archives/archives-and-local-studies/collections/Major Newspapers Available at Sheffield Local Studies Library.pdf

Happy hunting and good luck!

just checked the newspaper section of Find My Past, but it doesn't seem to have any Sheffield papers for 1977. Best bet if you can get there is probably the local studies libraryt

Although the British Newspaper archive doesn't have anything later than 1950, for anything earlier it can be a useful resource. I know that Rachmaninov appeared at the Sheffield City Hall in the 1930s, so by going to the advanced search section and putting in Rachmaninov and Sheffield City Hall, followed by a wide range of dates, among the results appears:

neglected by every conductor the country except Sir Thomas Beecham. SHEFFIELD MUSICAL FESTIVAL AND THE BELLS For the Sheffield Musical Festival, which opens next Wednesday, Rachmaninov has revised the third movement of hie choral symphony, The Bell? ...

The date of this article is Friday 16 October 1936. This appeared in the Western Daily Press, but many papers often carried news from other parts of the country. The listing also tells which page the article is on, so if you make a note of that, a trip to the local Studies section will tell you where to look in the paper.

I was recently looking for anything on an accident in a Birmingham cinema in 1922, and from the range of results which came up, I was able to gain a lot of information (although the deceased gained two years in age in the space of a couple of days! ).