Wakefield prison

Jen13

My great grandmother Harriet Beatson nee Bray was sent to Wakefield prison in 1903 for 4 days for "non payment of costs". Does anyone know where I can find further information? I have looked in the newspapers at the time but found no mention of her.

many thanks

Jenny

Try emailing Wakefield archives, they helped me when I tried to find info of my grandfather's inprisonment although I don't think they have much.

wakefield@wyjs.org.uk

Will give it a go, thanks. Just wondered if there were any court papers I could look and where I would find them.

The Wakefield Prison Register (at Ancestry) doesn't shed light on the circumstances.

I think her husband Albert BEATSON had recently completed 8 months hard labour (his 8th conviction. he was convicted at least twice more after 1903.

Hugh

Thank you for your reply Hugh. Albert was in and out of prison many times as you found out. I have been trying to piece this family together for many years and I "think" I might have cracked it. It appears Harriet had at least 3 illegitimate children, some being registered as MCCALL even though she wasn't married. In 1904 the children were put into the Children's Homes and Sarah Elizabeth was sent to America.

I was wondering if the Petty Sessions might hold a clue as to her non payment of costs?

Jenny