Is this Sheffield High Street?

Sheffield History

Doh!!! 
Course it is!! 

I must have seen it a million times but totally forgot

Amazing what buildings we have in Sheffield that we walk past and ignore often too

This looks like the upper floors of the old Brunswick pub, a Whitbread house in the seventies. It was next to Etams on the Haymarket opposite Woolworths.

The photo is of the original The Sun Inn (Old No 12) , there is a date on the high window, I think it has the name Wiley or Willey , people should remember that name as a Wine and Porter dealer. It wasn't the Brunswick, that building is next to the tacky sandwich shop / Cafe that sits on the corner of King Street.

From REMINISCENCES OF SHEFFIELD by R. E. LEADER

Johnson: What an institution "Wiley's window" meaning “Old No. 12”  was! It was almost a substitute for the  daily papers of the present time. All, or nearly all the events of the day were chronicled there - the  deaths from cholera, the debates in Parliament, the elections, anything out of the ordinary course. I remember going down daily, during the debates on the first Reform Bill, to get the names of the speakers for my father.

Leighton: Mr. Wiley displayed great enterprise, and made wonderful exertions to get his news.

Johnson: Yes, when Earl Grey resigned, Mr. Wiley showed his public spirit by having the Sun newspaper express sent to him. The news travelled from London to Sheffield in 14½  hours - a great advance on 1806, when the news of the death of Mr. Pitt took three days to reach Sheffield. Mr. Wiley died October 14th, 1851.

UNQUOTE

2 hours ago, boginspro said:

From REMINISCENCES OF SHEFFIELD by R. E. LEADER

Johnson: What an institution "Wiley's window" meaning “Old No. 12”  was! It was almost a substitute for the  daily papers of the present time. All, or nearly all the events of the day were chronicled there - the  deaths from cholera, the debates in Parliament, the elections, anything out of the ordinary course. I remember going down daily, during the debates on the first Reform Bill, to get the names of the speakers for my father.

Leighton: Mr. Wiley displayed great enterprise, and made wonderful exertions to get his news.

Johnson: Yes, when Earl Grey resigned, Mr. Wiley showed his public spirit by having the Sun newspaper express sent to him. The news travelled from London to Sheffield in 14½  hours - a great advance on 1806, when the news of the death of Mr. Pitt took three days to reach Sheffield. Mr. Wiley died October 14th, 1851.

UNQUOTE

This is how people kept in touch with the news  of the day, I think it was the Pheasant down Dixon Lane roughly where the entrance to the Rag n Tag stood, this pub was like a job centre of its day, anyone needing workers put up an advert advertising the fact so the unemployed called in the Pheasant to see if any jobs would suit their particular skills from labourers to grinders, they of course had a pint while perusing the adverts.

From the "SHEFFIELD LOCAL REGISTER 1849"

March 12th. Election of Mr. Thos. Wiley, Old No. 12, Haymarket, as Town Trustee, vice Mr. Wm.Battie, deceased.

And 1851

14th October . Decease of Ald. T. Wiley, aged 57, of Old No. 12, Haymarket.

And White's Directories:-

Wiley Thomas, wine, spirit, and porter merchant, news agent, & vict. Sun, 27 ("Old No. 12") Old Haymarket

Sun Tavern, T.Wiley ,27 0ld Haymarket.

Wiley Thomas, wine and spirit merchant & news agent, (Old No. 12,)

25 and 27 Old Haymarket; house Claremont place.

Wiley Thomas, 12 Old Haymarket

Sun Tavern., T. Wiley, Old Haymarket

After his death:-

Sun Tav., A. Wiley, 0ld Haymarket.

3 hours ago, lysander said:

Wasn't the Old No. 12 on Exchange Street near the old Rotherham bus terminus?

In recent years the Rotherham House pub on Exchange Street was renamed Old No 12 and later renamed again to Market Tavern. I would guess they got the name from the pub we are talking about above.

http://picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;a01403&pos=22&action=zoom&id=102150

market_tavern.jpg

On 31/03/2018 at 04:03, boginspro said:

In recent years the Rotherham House pub on Exchange Street was renamed Old No 12 and later renamed again to Market Tavern. I would guess they got the name from the pub we are talking about above.

http://picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;a01403&pos=22&action=zoom&id=102150

market_tavern.jpg

was this the pub that was smashed up in the 40s/50s and made the front page of The Sheffield Star?

The old number 12 still stands opposite Wilkos, it’s the mock Tudor building across. The clue is here

Wiley Thomas, wine, spirit, and porter merchant, news agent, & vict. Sun, 27 ("Old No. 12") Old Haymarket

4 hours ago, tozzin said:

The old number 12 still stands opposite Wilkos, it’s the mock Tudor building across. The clue is here

I had heard that The Rotherham House pub was smashed up in the 1940s or 50s and the incident made the front page of The Star... I wonder when the pub was renamed Old No 12 and then Market Tavern.

On 31/03/2018 at 09:00, lysander said:

Wasn't the Old No. 12 on Exchange Street near the old Rotherham bus terminus?

No that was the Rotherham House.