Does anyone know where this was?

Sheffield History

20 minutes ago, Sheffield History said:

Sheffield.jpg

Morning all!

Does anyone recognise this unique place and tell us something about it?

Gleedless?

On 29/03/2018 at 07:37, Sheffield History said:

Sheffield.jpg

Morning all!

Does anyone recognise this unique place and tell us something about it?

Could be barnsley road going down to firvale.  The building is a bus stop & could be Northern general hospital on the left.

Definitely Herries Rd - NGH on the left - where the bollards are is Norwood Rd junction on the right. I re,eber teh prefabs being on the RH side too and they were replaced by flats late ?1970s.  Remember the bus stop like that but don't have any idea as to why it seems to have a balcony thing on top. 

I seem to think it was built in the 1930's and is styled in that period of "modernity"...the "balcony" is an architectural feature.

It is on a 1935 Aerial Photo and I suspect that most visitors to the Hospital in those days would have relied on Public Transport and,as it was a long walk from the trams at Firvale, more people would travel by bus.The end of visiting hours would see an increasing number congregating at this stop so a larger shelter with extra overflow standing room (on the roof) was provided. There was a request stop a short way along Norwood Road for City bound buses and you would often see folk running to it direct from the Hospital gates if a bus was already at the shelter in the hope of catching it !   

Further to RLongden's research there are more pictures on PS taken by the City Engineers Dept as "Before & After" the road junction improvement. The 'befores' are dated 16 April 1956 whilst the 'afters' are as already stated as 4 December 1956 so that shelter clearly survived that improvement scheme. As I bought my first car in March that year my route to town didn't use Norwood Road and a couple of years later I moved away so my recollections of later events are limited to my visits to parents in S5. ........jigincs post  and an extended view of the 'street view' shows just how the car has taken over in the last 60 years.

Anyone remember the demolition of the shelter?

It's a shot taken in Winter from the bare trees. There's a bit of sun casting a shadow of that telegraph pole on the left, so the view could be eastwards.

I'm guessing Hatfield House Lane looking eastwards towards junction with Sicey Avenue?

Doubt its that junction as suggested. The few buildings to be seen don't look like 1920s vintage and the single storey building looks a bit post War and "prefabish"( I don't recall any prefabs on Sicey Avenue) and there are no cottages to be seen....a feature of the junction...certainly in the 1950s next to the TSB 

On 05/01/2019 at 13:28, southside said:

Here`s another unique location to deliberate over.   It`s seen quite a few changes over the years?

mystery pic.jpg

Same crossroads 25 years later and from a different direction!

crossroads.jpg

1 hour ago, RLongden said:

and today’s view?..... not possible as all but obliterated by Meadowhead roundabout! 

I couldn't resist having a look and I see what you mean. I can't say that I am impressed with the name Bochum Parkway either.

I passed there and used the Norton Hotel many times in the 60's. If I was there now I think I would just drive past, the pub and car park area  look awful now.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.3274953,-1.4740221,3a,37.5y,165.55h,88.61t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sDFqPRxWx8KfCkcGzq9qPPA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

Meadowhead Crossroads photographed from above in the winter of 1928 (Britain From Above)   Coal Aston Aerodrome circled yellow, Painted Fabrics circled blue.

aerodrome.jpg

• Like 1

Two maps, matching the two images, 25 years separating them, say 1940 and 1965...

earlier image, taken from location indicated by red arrow, wooden hoardings probably bordering the building site of the garage (latterly Alan Pond’s! - who remembers that?!)

later image taken from blue arrow, with the tree lined central reservation that marks the dual carriageway down past Lowedges, to join the Dronfield bypass.

anyone noticed they’ve kept the topstones on the wall of the Norton Hotel? Lowered the wall, painted them white and plonked back on! Look at the later photo and the street view link provided by @boginspro

EABAE0BA-A261-4BF2-BFFE-419C115FA00B.jpeg

3402BE8F-4339-4E88-8585-5D60C1BD511A.jpeg

16C44BC8-8F3A-4C87-BB2D-D3C219ECEBBA.jpeg

• Like 1