Liberty Bodice

Heartshome

Come on now folks! own up! Who was sent off to school wearing a LIBERTY BODICE at the first winter chill ? I remember how soft and warm the Inner Fleecy Lining was, but spent an age fastening and unfastening the little Rubber Buttons, but I tell you what, you were 'Always' warm.  

I had a deprived childhood - I didn't have one. Would love one now though to keep those winter chills at bay. 

I remember them with their little rubber buttons, I suppose it was just like wearing a vest because we never had both

it was either one or the other.

Never had one but a schoolmate  suffered considerable humiliation wearing one at FPGS when in the changing rooms he revealed this apparel! Poor lad!

Yes I had one too, but I managed to avoid any embarrassment by keeping quiet about it. Mind you they were very effective at keeping you warm.

Stretch Bend and Touch your Toes.  ( I cant do that now where can i get one ?? )

Sheffield Evening Telegraph 31 January 1939

Capture.JPG

• Like 1

I have almost no knowledge of these things so Googled it and came across the site linked below.

Quote from the site     ---   "The Liberty Bodice was invented by a corset firm called Symington's and designed as a health garment to "liberate" children (especially girls) from tight corsets and stays that progressive people were beginning to consider harmfully restrictive and binding on growing young bodies--hence the term "liberty" suggesting liberation from the old ways of dressing children. "      ---------------      http://histclo.com/style/under/gar/waist/waist-lib.html

• Like 1