Do you recognise this Netherthorpe scene from 1965?

Sheffield History

Netherthorpe Sheffield.jpg

J Beer, green grocer, corner of Fawcett Street and St Stephens Road, Netherthorpe, in 1965.

I remember this very well, I got married at the St Stephens church on the opposite corner to Mr Beers shop. It is actually the corner of Fawcett Street and the start of Mushroom Lane, St Stephens is the small narrow road at the other side of the church.

Ron Beer  used to have his fruit and veg cart outside the shop as well. when the shop closed and the whole block was ready for demolition Mr Beer got a new flat and shop at the corner of Mushroom Lane and Summer Street.    Ron Beer  still stood with his cart outside his old premises while his wife Christine ran the grocery shop on Summer Street. I believe the building is still there but whether it is still a shop I don't know.

• Like 1

I'm pretty sure that's Crookesmoor School in the background. Looking at the van I might well have been attending there at the time this picture was taken.

16 hours ago, John Russell said:

I'm pretty sure that's Crookesmoor School in the background. Looking at the van I might well have been attending there at the time this picture was taken.

Yes you're right it is Crookesmoor school in the background and the tip at the back of those old houses.

People living in the area all knew it as the tip and not the Ponderosa as most like to call it today.

Yes, we used to play football on the tip—though I remember large patches of it seemed to be gravel rather than grass.