Big Ada at the old market on Dixon Lane

Sheffield History

Big Ada Dixon Lane Market.jpg

Does anyone remember the people in this photo? One is Big Ada from the old market on Dixon Lane

Any memories of these people at all?

I remember her with warm affection, she was a tough old girl, could swear for England and she took no rubbish from anyone and had a reputation for flattening any bloke who was stupid enough to cross her.  She lived in Clarkeson St and her house backed onto our in Glossop Road.  She had a heart of gold if anyone was in trouble she was good for 2 bob and often she would take in young women who had been beaten by their husband, giving them a temporary safe place for the night.  I used to run errands for her and always got st least 3d but if she was in a good mood a tanner or even on odd occasions a shilling.  Like many Sheffield characters I think her reputation was bigger than reality but as always it was based in truth.

• Like 1

I remember Big Ada, I used to work in Dixon Lane when I was 15 years old for my now husbands grandparents, Ben & Elsie Harrison,  who sold lettuce etc outside the Rock Tavern Big Ada once gave me her coat to wear as it was raining heavily by I was only 2 stone wet through so the coat went around me about 10 times!! I also went on their annual outing to the seaside which was, shall we say, boozy from setting off to getting back, and she bought us a lovely bedspread for a wedding present.  She had a heart of gold and the story goes she used to carry a brick in her money pouch just in case she got mugged.  Lovely woman genuine Yorkshire.

Ben Harrison 1.jpg