Sheffield Transport's only half canopy bus.

boginspro

Sheffield Transport number 54 on a route I worked regularly, unfortunately not with this vehicle. Back loader single deck and half canopy.

54.jpg

I remember seeing it a few times in Handsworth, probably on the Dinnington via Kiveton Park-can't remember the route number.  Always wondered why there were no others.

On 4/12/2018 at 12:42, Gordon crapper said:

I remember seeing it a few times in Handsworth, probably on the Dinnington via Kiveton Park-can't remember the route number.  Always wondered why there were no others.

From this site ------   http://www.old-bus-photos.co.uk/?cat=120

"54 was a demonstrator on loan from January 1940 until brought into the fleet in December of that year as number 54. It was believed to have been at the last Pre-War Commercial Motor Show.      

54 was apparently a well-liked and reliable vehicle, lasting until 1955 in service before being converted into a canteen bus with withdrawal coming in January 1961."

As you say it could have been working a Dinnington route but I wonder if 54 could have been working the Retford / Gainsborough route. In my time on the buses, some years later, if my memory serves me right, that route was on the Derbyshire staff allocation board.

It could possibly have been on the Gainsborough route, but I have a vague feeling that I saw it coming up Laverack Street from the Richmond direction. However an 82 year old's memories are not that reliable!  Thanks for the post, very interesting.

I'm a member of the Sheffield Transport Study Group, lots of interesting bus articles in their journal.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Gordon crapper said:

I'm a member of the Sheffield Transport Study Group, lots of interesting bus articles in their journal.

Thanks, I will look in to that.