Alfred road Sheffield

Kelkel18

Any one got any pictures of Alfred road ?? Esp 171 my great great grandad Fredrick smith lived there in the 1880's..he would have been in his 30's and worked in the iron works. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Kelkel18 said:

Any one got any pictures of Alfred road ?? Esp 171 my great great grandad Fredrick smith lived there in the 1880's..he would have been in his 30's and worked in the iron works. 

Was Alfred Road between Worksop Road and Staniforth Road? I’m sure I remember the street sign whilst walking from home on Titterton St to Darnell in the 60s.

I know it's bright side way -off Sanderson road - industrial now I think - I'm just trying to find old pictures of where he lived? 

Alfred Road ran from Brightside Lane, Woodbine Lane junction, just past Brightside Lane Railway Bridge going outwards, and then parallel to Brightside lane all the way to Hawke Street.

• Thanks 1

Good one RLongden . the big gap in the numbering threw me a bit, I wonder why that was?  A bit annoying that Picture Sheffield seems to only have the opposite corner, or have I missed one?

Alfred Road, for many years was the place where many of Sheffield's rag and bone men lived/stabled their horses and carts.

http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?action=zoomWindow&keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s14822&prevUrl=

Closest to No.171 I could find.

If we were standing here, looking at this view, 171 would be behind us, over our right shoulder.

also, working with the best image on a damaged negative, from Britain From Above...

https://britainfromabove.org.uk/en/image/EAW026023

count 1 street back from Windmill Street, where Don Road cuts the diagonal to the main road and look on the opposite corner from the 'vehicle works'. Bingo! No. 171...

• Like 1

Thank you so much for this information - he had a fire wood business and had his sons working for him- William Henry Charles, Stephen and Robert. Plus his stepson who's surname was bagshaw. I have been wanting to see the area - or plug for more info fascinating ! Thanks 

I found a half decent aerial view of Alfred Road / Dane Street from 1948, showing No.171 on the corner.

Also, the current location of where the building was, is in the rear car park at Lechler Ltd. What was Dane Road is now Don Road, but the red circles on each image are where 171 Alfred Road was located.

2E06130B-738E-4596-81CF-292038A7FBA6.jpeg

92436E5A-2DE5-476F-A222-5F1C479C0C25.jpeg

A44E3CA8-B12E-4193-8155-3359EF282722.jpeg

• Like 1