Old Postcards of the Don Valley - But actual places?

RLongden

Came across these old postcards in an album with lots of others, collected by my Dad and although on different pages, they seem to be very similar in style and possibly real locations?

They are very stylised and one caption on the back talks about the image being picturesque, even if the subject matter was prosaic. But, I'm not sure if they are of actual places, or just stylised in the eye of the artist? I thought the one titled 'White Rails' (with the church) may have been near Millsands / Nursery St., but the steeple doesn't look right? The other titled 'A Sheffield Forge' must be one of the many on the Don in that area along Neepsend? Maybe the stilts hanging out over the river are a clue???

Delighted to find that one postcard was actually used, with Annie telling a Mrs. Bacon that they would be visiting her on Sunday next, all been (sic) well. Postmarked June 16 1887? 1907? Must have been the quick phone call or text of the time, with a ha'penny stamp, just dropping a note to Mrs. Bacon.

Thought I'd share and maybe someone would recognise the locations, if they were actual scenes?

fullsizeoutput_24d9.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_24e5.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_24e9.jpeg

• Like 1

I've got the full set of these. I mapped the locations at some point, but I'm going to have to go find them now...

Edit - they were published around 1905 I think as the Work-A-Day Sheffield set

Nursery Street was called White Rails at one time, the rails on the left look rather neglected and have lost their white appearance, the steelworks on stilts maybe Samuel Osbornes.

• Like 1

I think the other view may be looking  towards Kelham Island from the weir. If so that may be the Russell Works and electricity power station on the right. This is a clip from a Picture Sheffield image, the nearest to that angle I can find.        -------------    http://picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;u07267&pos=263&action=zoom&id=100389

kelham.png.jpg

15 minutes ago, boginspro said:

I think the other view may be looking  towards Kelham Island from the weir. If so that may be the Russell Works and electricity power station on the right. This is a clip from a Picture Sheffield image, the nearest to that angle I can find.        -------------    http://picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;u07267&pos=263&action=zoom&id=100389

kelham.png.jpg

Looks slap bang on the money! Good spot....

On 10/03/2018 at 21:40, boginspro said:

kelham.png.jpg

image.thumb.png.3b1b715b0f7136c267cf8bbb3e774d9c.png

"Jotter" was Walter Hayward Young (middle name probably originally Henry, Hayward was an affectation), born in 1868 the son of a Birmingham copper plate engraver. As well as painting performed humourous songs that he had written. In 1891 he opened a studio in Dundee. He traded in Sheffield as Young Brothers ("Ltd" from 1898) with premises at Norfolk Chambers, Norfolk Row.  They were artists, engravers, designers, printers, lithographers, stationers, bookbinders, booksellers, publishers etc. The other two brothers were Percy and Bertram Young. He made his debut in variety at the Empire Theatre in March 1896, sketching on stage with songs and commentary thrown in. Walter died in Osterley, London aged 52 in 1920.537314502_TuckPostcards1907.png.bf77979b53fc9cbd76006719296b2611.png