Dixon Lane in Sheffield City Centre

Sheffield History

On 06/12/2023 at 19:14, southside said:

This 1890 map from Picture Sheffield shows a Tontine Hotel located at the top of Dixon Lane, was this in any way connected to the Tontine Inn demolished in 1850 to make way for the building of the new Norfolk Market Hall?

https://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?action=printdetails&keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;q00081&prevUrl=

If you look opposite the Market Hall you will see written “ The Old No 12 “ I think this IS the No 12 that people mistakenly think was on Exchange Street. My photo shows the Old Number 12 still standing on Haymarket. You can see the year and initials of the wine and spirit dealer who had it built just below the pinnacle.

IMG_1674.jpeg

Hmmmm…..don’t recognise that as the Old No. 12. In the early 1960s I and some work mates went on a Saturday morning booze and we definitely called  in the ON 12 which I was pretty sure was on Exchange Street.😙

31 minutes ago, Lysanderix said:

Hmmmm…..don’t recognise that as the Old No. 12. In the early 1960s I and some work mates went on a Saturday morning booze and we definitely called  in the ON 12 which I was pretty sure was on Exchange Street.😙

Look at the map, I have never found any reference to a No 12 on Exchange Street only by word of mouth but it’s on the map, the Rotherham house has always been known as that by the older members even though it had a couple of name changes over the years, I frequented it when it was a Bernie Inn.

in the book Sheffield Public Houses by Michael Liversage , he does mention the Old No 12 but it was only known by that name from the sixties onwards, in the late 1800s onwards it’s was number 27 Exchange Street.

1 hour ago, Lysanderix said:

Thanks Boginspro…I was beginning to think we had drunk too much pop and I was referring to the 60s.

It became the ‘Old No.12,’  Berni Inn, in 1968. I believe that by 1982 it was called The Garden.

We have a topic on it here ----   

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Lysanderix said:

I read the building has been condemned as unsafe and will be demolished.

I read that too and I don't believe it, why can't it be stabilised if it's true,several years ago the Bethal Chapel on Cambridge Street was being brought back into use, the people who were friends of the chapel were told by Amy,the electrics had to be completely re-wired at a cost of £30,000, an independent firm was brought in to check and lo and behold they electrics were fine and didn't need re-wiring.

When English heritage visited the chapel , one of the so called experts commented on the fine 19th century vaulted ceiling, she was left with egg on her face after a relative of mine picked up a screwdriver and pushed it through what was just textured plaster board, these are the people deciding on what building should be saved or not.

I hope you are correct but our Councils long running record at destroying interesting architecture gives me little confidence.