Dixon Lane in Sheffield City Centre

Sheffield History

Dixon Lane Sheffield 1964.jpg
Dixon Lane in Sheffield City Centre in the early 1960s showing Burton's clothes shop is it?

Just a little way down Dixon Lane.  Up in the window of the building opposite the gas lamp, there appears to be a notice of demolition!

In the very early 1960's my then girl friend had a Saturday job at Kings on Dixon Lane and at "clocking out" time I would be patiently waiting for her before we went to the "flicks".

Going back a bit, but with many of the same shops from the the 60's image. Burton's have the old frontage and the Norfolk Market Hall is still there. Top left is the end of the Corn Exchange and though the background is hazy Gunstone's gable end can be seen to the right of Broad Street and I think Bard Street flats above it.

old_dixon_lane.jpeg

7 hours ago, Heartshome said:

Am I right in thinking that 'Cann Cann the Music Man' shop used to be on Dixon Lane ?

It certainly was, it was in the basement.

1 hour ago, tozzin said:

It certainly was, it was in the basement.

Thanks tozzin. I don't remember it myself, but I remember seeing an old card record sleeve with that quote on, and was sure the address was Dixon Lane.

10 hours ago, Heartshome said:

Am I right in thinking that 'Cann Cann the Music Man' shop used to be on Dixon Lane ?

Number 4 Dixon Lane, Philip Cann.

cann.jpg

old_cann.jpeg

Thanks boginspro for the info. I was only little at the time of the photo, only thing I do remember is the 'Flower Seller' seen at the top. If going to Gran's on a Saturday, Mum and I would buy some from him to take up to her.

I guess that picture must have been taken on a Saturday looking at the crowds of people! If Sheffield was packed like that today no shops would be closing down!!

The other picture is full of middle age women! I can see only one man!!

I remember in the mid to late 60's there was an off sales on Dixon Lane which used to sell loose sherry, you had to take your own bottle. I think it was 5shiilings/6pence a pint. My pal Paul and I were regular visitors on a Saturday afternoon. Once we didn't have a bottle, so we went round to Castle House, took a milk bottle out of the crate, washed it in the Big Hole toilet and had it filled with sherry - no top!

Wazzie Worrall

4 hours ago, Paul Worrall said:

I remember in the mid to late 60's there was an off sales on Dixon Lane which used to sell loose sherry, you had to take your own bottle. I think it was 5shiilings/6pence a pint. My pal Paul and I were regular visitors on a Saturday afternoon. Once we didn't have a bottle, so we went round to Castle House, took a milk bottle out of the crate, washed it in the Big Hole toilet and had it filled with sherry - no top!

Wazzie Worrall

Perhaps this one, T Bates, 16 Dixon Lane.

In the 50's it was next to Woolworth's side entrance and later in the 60's after Woollies moved in to the new shop it was next to the Home Stores side entrance.

I was more likely to take a jug to the pub for bitter.

http://picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s42112&pos=50&action=zoom&id=122725

bates.jpg

11 hours ago, Paul Worrall said:

I reckon that's the one - T Bates, 16 Dixon Lane. Does anybody know when it closed?

Wazzie Worrall

I am a long way away from Sheffield but it appears that it might be still open , the shop still appears on Google Earth, looking a real mess.  and the 'phone number is still listed.

t_bates_dixon_lane.png

Screenshot 2020-05-12 at 17.12.59.jpg

I passed Dixon Lane the other day.

Safe to say this road has seen much better times.

A shell of what it was.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sheffield History said:

A shell of what it was.

Thanks for the photo' though I am sad to see a place that was in the heart of the city being transformed to that. Graffiti again also, (sorry my pet hate) , bring back the the old tough copper on the beat with a big truncheon.

• Like 1

Here's a picture of my husbands grandparents Elsie & Ben Harrison who had a salad stall outside the Rock Tavern my husband and I  used to help them on Saturdays and school holidays he's written a book on the experience called 'Boyhood Memories of Dixon Lane' which is available to buy on Kindle as an ebook or paperback showing photo's of the old rag & tag and Dixon Lane.677869607_CoverV3.thumb.jpg.156b6a788207b964a3355b531f9e3a3c.jpg

Ben Harrison 1.jpg

On 12/05/2020 at 17:18, Sheffield History said:

Screenshot 2020-05-12 at 17.12.59.jpg

A shell of what it was.

That’s a real COVID-19 Dixon Lane isn’t it? Seriously though, folk don’t want the old Dixon Lane’s of this world any more, the very thought of my Nan struggling up the Lane with two bags full of meat and veg sends shudders through me.

• Like 1

Dixon Lane is now a dump of a place, however Kings butchers remain open and they do the best breakfast sandwiches ever. I work nearby and look forward to going for a breakfast every now and again. Not sure if they are still classed as a butcher's though as they seem to sell more cooked meats and cream buns etc.