AEC destroyed in February, back in service in September.

boginspro

AEC bus BWA 212 destroyed in an accident at Wharncliffe Side 18/02/1936, back in service in September the same year. That wouldn't / couldn't  happen now days.            ------------------         (C) Picture Sheffield          -------------       http://picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s01123&pos=92&action=zoom&id=4945  

bus.jpg

Wow, that’s bad and as you say, couldn’t be resurrected these days! Hopefully no one was on the thing when it went up.

l saw a bad one in the very early 70s on Mansfield Road, Intake. A very surreal and horrifying experience as I had literally, a tunnel view of what was happening from the gennel  I was walking down towards that main road. When I got to the road it was like a battlefield - the double decker bus I’d seen careering down Mansfield Rd had ploughed into a car (from memory, containing a woman doctor) and there seemed to be vehicles all over the place - and by then people emerging from places, utterly shocked. I could see that the situation needed urgent and substantial aid and it not been the era of mobile telephones I raced back home down the gennel to call the emergency services. When I got back they were actually arriving with police sealing off the area - although in fact probably one of the first on the scene, I couldn’t then find out what had actually happened, save that, from what I saw, I was pretty sure that the bus had  been out of control. I was by then very late for work so had to find another way into the City. What’s puzzled me ever since is that I never found out anymore about the incident. I have in mind that at least one person may have died - and the doctor sticks in my mind which wouldn’t have been surprising given the severity on the impact. I may have got some detail wrong as it’s a long time ago and pretty confused at the time but I’lll never forget it - particularly my initial, weird view ...then the horrendous noise of chaos. 
There may have been a piece in The Star, I just can’t now recall and I now live away from Sheffield but I’ve looked for references on and off since and found nothing. Maybe this piece will spark the memory of someone from that era.....

There can't have been many parts left to salvage surely?

Surely just basically built a new bus with replacement parts?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Paolo Coopio said:

There can't have been many parts left to salvage surely?

Surely just basically built a new bus with replacement parts?

My thoughts entirely. Rather like those 'Patriot' locomotives which were supposed to be rebuilt 'Claughtons', but all that was left was the wheels. It looks as if the bus' wheels and engine may have been salvageable; for the rest of it, why bother?