St. Mary's Walkley

Paul Connor

I attended this church from the late 50's until the mid 69's. Sang in the choir and even made head Choir Boy.

The vicar was Hubert George and he lived in the vicarage  at the end of South Street, with his sister, miss George.

The choir master was Reg Bradley and he really produced a magnificent choir. I was proud to be a part of it.

Fond memories of Hubert George setting the cemetery on fire, and sending us to get watering cans to put it out. The annual choir trip was fabulous, we went to lots of places and always had a game of footie on the way back. What a great man. He was rural dean of Hallam at the time. He eventually left to go to Pelsall. Not the same after.

Used to 'beat the bounds' carrying the cross and procession around the boundary of the Parish. Playing the last post from the organ loft.

If anyone remembers these times or me let me know.

Lots of very happy memories of this church. I have a lot to thank it for.

I am still in contact with the old cubs leader Rosemary North !!

Attended St Mary's school on South Road, just next to the church, around 1964. Went to services from time to time as the church and school were affiliated. Lived on Duncombe Street before moving to Hillsborough.

I was born at number 2 Duncombe Street in 1949. It was the corner house at the bottom if the street. We moved to Rivelin Valley when I was six or seven, but my grandparents still lived in that house for many years after. Two up two down, cellar ( I can remember the coal man delivering ) and attic, outside toilet. No bathroom, used to get the tin bath out. It had a coal fire and that fuelled the oven. I can still remember my grandmother baking bread. Used to walk from Hollins Lane to the church three times on Sunday's. Choir practice Friday night.