Netherthorpe "boundary"

Mark Richard Wingfield

I have been working on my family tree and am tidying up lots of references and citations. One thing I have noticed in my FTM software is that Netherthorpe is an option for the area that roads can be within. This raised the thorny question of where Netherthorpe starts and ends. I think myself that the Northern boundary would be at the parkland that is called The Ponderosa but does it stretch all the way down to West Bar and also, to the North East, does it stretch to Shalesmoor. I know that these boundaries tend to be outdated once the historic villages have been swamped by major cities but I am just interested from a documentation point of view. Google maps show a very limited area for Netherthorpe and I have also seen a list of streets in geographic.org/streetview that pulls all Crookes roads into Netherthorpe (as Crookes is not defined at all). The former seems constrictive and the latter ignores the relevance of Crookes/Crookesmoor.

Any thoughts or map evidence would be gratefully accepted. Please be aware I do understand that this will result in many opinions,as whatever Netherthorpe was in the 18th century was quickly swallowed by the expansion of Sheffield (and indeed the majority of streets are a later construct as the result of Sheffield's expansion) but am interested all the same.

Cheers

I know it’s not always reliable, but according to wiki there was no ‘Netherthorpe’ until the mid 19th century. As the urban area expanded westwards the developers coined the word ‘Netherthorpe’ to create a distinction with the existing Upperthorpe.

It was an artificial construction to name the area between St. George’s Church and what is now the Pondarosa.

On ‎03‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 20:50, Mark Richard Wingfield said:

I have been working on my family tree and am tidying up lots of references and citations. One thing I have noticed in my FTM software is that Netherthorpe is an option for the area that roads can be within. This raised the thorny question of where Netherthorpe starts and ends. I think myself that the Northern boundary would be at the parkland that is called The Ponderosa but does it stretch all the way down to West Bar and also, to the North East, does it stretch to Shalesmoor. I know that these boundaries tend to be outdated once the historic villages have been swamped by major cities but I am just interested from a documentation point of view. Google maps show a very limited area for Netherthorpe and I have also seen a list of streets in geographic.org/streetview that pulls all Crookes roads into Netherthorpe (as Crookes is not defined at all). The former seems constrictive and the latter ignores the relevance of Crookes/Crookesmoor.

Any thoughts or map evidence would be gratefully accepted. Please be aware I do understand that this will result in many opinions,as whatever Netherthorpe was in the 18th century was quickly swallowed by the expansion of Sheffield (and indeed the majority of streets are a later construct as the result of Sheffield's expansion) but am interested all the same.

Cheers

Hi, not been on for a while and came across this topic.

If it helps  the ward boundary is shown on map 275 on the 1950's map section