How are you all coping in the snow?

Thorntons girl

Hi everyone

just wondered how you are all coping in the snow? I hope you are all warm, safe and non stressed.

Have you struggled in to work, has transport slowed you down?  My buses stopped and I was saved by the tram. I live at the highest point in Sheffield.

Are you amazed how Sheffield falls apart in the snow?  How do other countries cope, they have far more snow than us!!

Do you find the snow beautiful? There is no denying the beauty and purity of the snow, everything looks clean and fresh.

Are you keeping an eye on your elderly neighbours? Have they got basic supplies and are they keeping warm?

Have you got any beautiful photographs?

Which area has the most snow?

Has your boiler broke like Mine????? My flue pipe has frozen with the minus temperatures.

Lets start a Sheffield Snow thread!!

Keep warm, take care, take care of others and stay safe!!

Heard loads of peoples boilers have gone

ive stayed inside all week and kept warm!!

The first job abroad I went to in winter  was South Korea. The temperature was around -10C all the time I was there. There was very little snow but the ridges in the paddy fields were solid ice. The car that took me from the hotel to work had tyres with spring loaded steel sharp pegs in them. They did not waste money heating their factory, the employees wore insulated quilted overalls. I had to wear all my clothing to keep warm. factory toilets had the water turned off to prevent freezing so we had to go into offices to use the toilet.  Next cold job was Sweden. Lake outside hotel frozen with marks where people had skated and holes cut in ice by keen anglers. In the morning children riding bikes to school on surfaces we would not let our kids ride bikes on. If you have a car in Sweden it is mandatory you have another set of wheels fitted with winter tyres and change them over.  Factory heated HOORAY. On the factory car park there was a box between every 2 cars with 2 electrical sockets in them. The employees cars were connected to the sockets by a removable lead and the car radiators had an immersion heater fitted. About half an hour before a shift finished the sockets came live so the employees had a warm engine that started easily and a warm car. I also found that their cars were fitted with a much larger battery than ours.

I went to the nearest yellow Grit Bin only to find the contents frozen solid!

The condensation pipe on the boiler froze up, so at the coldest night we had no heating! 

Sunday I saw an amazing sight! A snow plough doing our road! No gritting lorry. Just a JCB with a plough. Perhaps he was lost?

Does anyone know how yellow grit bins are placed? Can you request one for your road?

On ‎10‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 00:09, History dude said:

I went to the nearest yellow Grit Bin only to find the contents frozen solid!

The condensation pipe on the boiler froze up, so at the coldest night we had no heating! 

Sunday I saw an amazing sight! A snow plough doing our road! No gritting lorry. Just a JCB with a plough. Perhaps he was lost?

Does anyone know how yellow grit bins are placed? Can you request one for your road?

Myself and neighbours requested one a few years ago when we had all that snow but the answer was no even though we said we would club together and pay for it ourselves.

We are at the top off a hill but was told we already had one at the bottom of the hill near the main road, it would made have made more sense to have it at the top our even half way

but the council knows best :rolleyes:.  Our road never gets gritted and never has done , we accept that but at least they could provide a bin so we could do it ourselves then we could

get out onto the main road and travel.

Just got rid of it and it's back again!

Went to that grit bin again. And it wasn't even topped up. Frozen again too!

I thought I would check what the Council has to say about Grit Bins.

"We would not usually consider grit bins within 200 metres of an existing grit bin, or a grit bin on any road that forms part of the priority 1 or 2 precautionary gritting routes.

If you would like to request a grit bin relocation then the site you are recommending would need to meet 2 or more of the following criteria:

• the road has a drainage problem
  • the road has a steep gradient of 1 in 10 (10%)
  • there is a bad bend that has a radius of less than 50 metres
  • is on a junction
  • the road has a main entrance to sheltered housing
  • the road has a main entrance to a school
  • is in an isolated area
  • traffic signals are close (within 20m)
  • a roundabout is close (within 20m) 

If your location meets 2 or more of the criteria then please fill out our online form and ask us to relocate a grit bin. This will be assessed by the Streets Ahead team at the end of the winter season, with priority given to the highest scoring sites.

The site also lists the current locations of Grit Bins. However I checked my area and at least two locations are not on the map. So I have little faith in the rest!

Found these cuttings in Grandma's Scrapbook. 

People talk about the winters of 1947 (I'm too young😂) and 1962 and1963 (which I do very painfully) but February 1953 caused problems as most winters did in those days. Hope I was warmly tucked up in my cot at night, no central heating. 

IMG_20221109_110844.thumb.jpg.f01b6094ee2c4e4c51ceda0af7d0ae6e.jpg

Now this is what you call dedication to duty. Sorry but Grandma didn't include the photograph. IMG_20221109_110806.thumb.jpg.4d74612843312a249b3515edb90544dd.jpg

On 09/11/2022 at 12:27, Edmund said:

The two worst winters ever:  Mike and Bernie.

I saw Bernie at a theatre in Babacombe and he was just brilliant and prior to that I thought they were not very good.