Back in time for tea

Thorntons girl

Has anyone been watching this fantastic show?

It is where a Bradford family have given up their house for it to be transformed into different eras.

Each show focuses on a different decade, starting from the 1900's up to the present day.

There is history about each decade, political changes, social changes, dress, music and the main theme food as it was made and eaten.

There are some interesting food choices and recipes, lots of Sheffield dishes we have discussed previously.

A must watch, on Tuesday nights and still on catch up.

Watch and get back to me for discussion.

Image result for back in time for tea

Here is the link for information

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b09rdv80

Enjoy!!

On 01/03/2018 at 20:00, Thorntons girl said:

Has anyone been watching this fantastic show?

It is where a Bradford family have given up their house for it to be transformed into different eras.

Each show focuses on a different decade, starting from the 1900's up to the present day.

There is history about each decade, political changes, social changes, dress, music and the main theme food as it was made and eaten.

There are some interesting food choices and recipes, lots of Sheffield dishes we have discussed previously.

A must watch, on Tuesday nights and still on catch up.

Watch and get back to me for discussion.

Image result for back in time for tea

Here is the link for information

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b09rdv80

Enjoy!!

Hi Thorntons girl, loved watching the series till the 60s era, everything after that time I remember ! A lot of the fashion and furnishings especially into the 70s was gaudy and tacky, I was only young, but there was a lot of that time I didn't like. Really enjoyed the previous series though, from the mid 1800s onwards. Have you watched the 1940s Farm or Victorian Farm, or any of the other Living History series of programmes with Alex Langdon and Ruth, they are brilliant.  

On 23/05/2018 at 10:48, Heartshome said:

Hi Thorntons girl, loved watching the series till the 60s era, everything after that time I remember ! A lot of the fashion and furnishings especially into the 70s was gaudy and tacky, I was only young, but there was a lot of that time I didn't like. Really enjoyed the previous series though, from the mid 1800s onwards. Have you watched the 1940s Farm or Victorian Farm, or any of the other Living History series of programmes with Alex Langdon and Ruth, they are brilliant.  

Hi Heartshome, I remember the 70s and 80s most, they were turbulent times weren't they?

My friends Dad was striking in the miners dispute and he went back to work earlier, was called a "Scab" and it was hard for the family.

I have watched the other shows too, I really enjoy watching living history shows, they are so interesting.

Which is your favourite time in history?

Mine is the Victorian age, the age of the Jacobites(18th century - because of the show Outlander!) and I am a big fan of the eighties!!

I love everything about the eighties, the music, the fashion and the absence of mobile phones!!

On 25/05/2018 at 23:54, Thorntons girl said:

Hi Heartshome, I remember the 70s and 80s most, they were turbulent times weren't they?

My friends Dad was striking in the miners dispute and he went back to work earlier, was called a "Scab" and it was hard for the family.

I have watched the other shows too, I really enjoy watching living history shows, they are so interesting.

Which is your favourite time in history?

Mine is the Victorian age, the age of the Jacobites(18th century - because of the show Outlander!) and I am a big fan of the eighties!!

I love everything about the eighties, the music, the fashion and the absence of mobile phones!!

Hi Thorntons girl. I like so many priods in History, not for the fact that the poor were very poor, but if you lived in a community, the people really took care of each other in times of need, especially in rural areas. It's the fashion that is so great, I love the Medieval, King Arthur, Robin Hood, Jousting time, I've had a few Medieval Fun Nights for charity. great fun !! - Then the Victorian era, Big Skirts, Bonnets, Peplum Jackets, and Big White Pinnys, had a stall at several Victorian Christmas Markets  - The one I am most passionate about though is WW2, I go to 40s Weekends with a Vintage Stall, or my husband and I visit them dressed 40s style. Knowing first hand from the stories of my Mum, what the horrors of that time were, people also had to get on with life, and the event organisers and re-enactors go to great lengths to pass the knowledge on to the younger generation. As you say, the people of that time are those we should be proud of, and I feel I am honouring my Mum who was in the WAAFS, and my MUM-IN-LAW who was in the STEEL WORKS.