Chuck Ranch

Wilkesy

Anyone remember the Chuck Ranch on Holme Lane ? We spent many a happy Saturday night after a crawl around Stannington or Hillsborough in there. Think it was one of the first American themed diners in Sheffield. If memory serves me it burned down.:mellow:

I used to go to the Chuck Wagon with my girlfriend, now my wife, and was devastated when it burned down. It was great food and as you say one of the first of its kind in Sheffield. The other I know was Uncle Sam's on Ecclesall road.  Hillsborough drinking on a Sat afternoon and then the Chuck Wagon. Brilliant.

I don't know what you think but going out seemed to be much cheaper then in the seventies and early eighties. We would go out seven nights a week and usually end up in a nightclub. Restaurants opened later and we used to go into town restaurants after closing time and even after the nightclubs. The Indus in the square was a favourite. We would sometimes go to a City Hall concert before the main drinking sessions. Roxy Music, Elton John or maybe the Who were all enjoyed with drinks in the Albert across the road before, last orders in the pubs and a nightclub afterwards, We never had particularly well paid jobs and shudder to think what that kind of lifestyle would cost today. My daughters don,t go out more than a few times a month and it costs them an arm and a leg. 

Sorry I digress, I still get a bit sad when I think of the tree growing up through the ruins of the Chuck wagon years after it burned down.

Yes the tree growing out from the rubble, looking at the size of the tree it must be quite a long time since it burnt down.

I use to love it there , tasty food at prices we could afford. Does anyone know who owned it at the time?

Do I ever remember it, oh boy, do I ever!

I loved on Haden Street, bang opposite the place and saw it get firebombed.  The then Mrs X and me were watching telly and heard a car come ripping up Holme Lane, screeched round the corner and paused.  I opened the curtains to see what was going on, saw someone launch a molotov at it then race off.  

We - and everyone else - called the fire service but by the time they arrived, the place was just about gutted.  The police were going to evacuate us all because of the gas cylinders in the basement of the Chuck Ranch, but the fire brigade made them safe.

The next couple of weeks, our street was closed at the Holme Lane end, and there were wall to wall coppers.

It turned out the guy I worked for at the time knew the owners well, and, well he told me a few things about how and why it got burned out, but as far as I know, nowt came of it.

On 27/10/2021 at 23:27, Sam Xavier said:

Do I ever remember it, oh boy, do I ever!

I loved on Haden Street, bang opposite the place and saw it get firebombed.  The then Mrs X and me were watching telly and heard a car come ripping up Holme Lane, screeched round the corner and paused.  I opened the curtains to see what was going on, saw someone launch a molotov at it then race off.  

We - and everyone else - called the fire service but by the time they arrived, the place was just about gutted.  The police were going to evacuate us all because of the gas cylinders in the basement of the Chuck Ranch, but the fire brigade made them safe.

The next couple of weeks, our street was closed at the Holme Lane end, and there were wall to wall coppers.

It turned out the guy I worked for at the time knew the owners well, and, well he told me a few things about how and why it got burned out, but as far as I know, nowt came of it.

Is the plot it was on the site that is still derelict on Holme lane - with all hoardings around it?

I’ve always wondered why that was like that?

who owns that land?

On 29/12/2022 at 11:25, makapaka said:

Is the plot it was on the site that is still derelict on Holme lane - with all hoardings around it?

I’ve always wondered why that was like that?

who owns that land?

I have no idea.  Haven't lived in Sheffield for about 20 years.  I imagine Street View will show how it looks currently, though.  In fact - I just checked - and yes, it does.  Still boarded up, as of October 2022.