Who made cutlery by "F & W Ltd"? Or "J & W Ltd"

Kalfred

Hello I am looking for some help from the Sheffield forum again. Below are some photos relating to some post WW2 army eating knifes.

The blades definitely say “Sheffield England” and they seem to have been made by “F&W Ltd” or possibly “J &W Ltd”. The knives were issued in 1973 and 1970, but who were “F/J &W Ltd”. Are there people who worked on these knifes? Internet search doesn’t throw up much. There are references to other cutlery made by “F&W Ltd”, but no name. Is there anyone out there that knows? When it involves a military contract a good number of utensils must have been made and I hope more information can be found.

Yours

Kalfred 

F&W military knife 1970.jpg

F&w Ltd Army knife 1973.jpg

Fry & Wigfull Limited was set up on 13 Jun 1946 and has its registered office in Sheffield on Boston Street, Its current status is listed as "Dissolved". It had 4 directors at the time it closed. The arrow mark indicates it was a Government order.

Hello, thank you SteveHB and Tozzin for your responses. I checked again using “Fry & Wigfull” on the net. I found plenty of knives advertised with the full trade name for the company and the going out of business notification. Little else seemed to surface. Was the company “residual” from Lee & Wigfull or just a coincidence to have that particular Shefffield ”electroplate” name? 

I believe now that it is likely that the contract for my military knives was fulfilled by “Fry & Wigfull”, but it would be nice to have something more than “circumstantial” evidence.

Thanks

Kalfred

9 minutes ago, Kalfred said:

Hello, thank you SteveHB and Tozzin for your responses. I checked again using “Fry & Wigfull” on the net. I found plenty of knives advertised with the full trade name for the company and the going out of business notification. Little else seemed to surface. Was the company “residual” from Lee & Wigfull or just a coincidence to have that particular Shefffield ”electroplate” name? 

I believe now that it is likely that the contract for my military knives was fulfilled by “Fry & Wigfull”, but it would be nice to have something more than “circumstantial” evidence.

Thanks

Kalfred

I worked at Lee & Wigfull on John Street for a couple of years and I can safety say they had nothing to do with Fry & Wigfull. I can tell you that Goverment inspectors visited their suppliers to inspect the goods before they accepted delivery.