Can you name this place?

Sheffield History

Stone House Sheffield.jpg

This one will shock those who didn't know about this place ever existing in Sheffield, but can you name this famous Sheffield place?

Between Church Street and Leopold Street, and now I believe called Orchard Square, and much altered.

Originally Orchard chambers before being demolished. A wine merchant was also there fronting on to Church Street.

Nick De Nitto was an excellent clock man, who moved out to Eckington. He was also involved in amateur dramatics in the Sheffield area

On 26/02/2018 at 15:57, Sheffield History said:

Stone House Sheffield.jpg

This one will shock those who didn't know about this place ever existing in Sheffield, but can you name this famous Sheffield place?

On 26/02/2018 at 21:23, Eggo said:

Between Church Street and Leopold Street, and now I believe called Orchard Square, and much altered.

Originally Orchard chambers before being demolished. A wine merchant was also there fronting on to Church Street.

Nick De Nitto was an excellent clock man, who moved out to Eckington. He was also involved in amateur dramatics in the Sheffield area

Nick used to be in Campo Lane....I remember Diane Woodthorpe as well as Nick in City Players who used to rehearse in Eckington!

Used to go in at lunch time some days when I worked at Walsh's  store.

Always dark inside as I remember.

If I remember right the ceiling was painted matt black with stars painted on to make it look as though you were outside..

• Like 1

This is the Stonehouse after being vandalised by the brewery. It was a "proper" pub when the Dutchman, Bill Hoffman,was landlord before he moved on to another proper pub at Oughtibridge.